Will I do damage? Reaming

fishkarma

Gonna do a bit of reamping tomorrow.

Right so heres the deal: recorded Di into pro tools through the digi 002 desk
I have a marshall 2203 100w tube head that im dragging into a fairly good room for reamping.

Can i run the clean signal from one of the outputs at the back through the pedals into the amp and record?

Or should I solo the guitar and run from the head phones out so I can control the gain I could also use one of the monitors out puts so I can control the gain

Not really sure what I'm doing to get the right levels going into the amp?
I understand the principals of reaming but don't wanna do any damage to my 2203 as it cost a bomb

I've done a search but nothings come up about recording through the main outputs. Its all about the redeye, little labs, and other makes or equipment which I have neither the time or money to buy (broke :( )

Reaming will generally cause much pain.

Re-amping will not if done correctly. People usually use a di box backwards or a re-amping box.

Well the di backwards "would not work because of the large level differences between a microphone level signal and a line level signal. On the direct box the instrument input is designed for instrument level signals (-20dbm) and the microphone out is designed to give a microphone level signal (-60dbm typical) using a direct box in reverse would put a +4dbm signal into a –60dbm output and would cause extreme signal distortion before you even plugged into the amp."

and i dont have a reamping box, I'm asking specifically if theres anything i can do with a 002 to get the right gain levels

I saw the title and thought spam started back again.

"Reaming"??? hehe....Yes,it might cause damage.:D :D :D

Aww fuck a typo in the heading great!
Well to be honest I don't see how it'll do damage really all i wawnt to know is how in gods name do i know that im adding enough gain bar bad sound which leads to a better question of how do i know to stop adding gain bar explosions and smoke? the amp goes fucking loud so ears bleeding dosn't necessarily mean too much gain from the desk!

While on the topic of spam the easiest way of knowing if its spam except for the title is that all the spam posts seem tho have a pic of pages next to them if anything else its usually real no matter how badly worded the title is :(

the answer is yes you can.

hint:

Just read up on the output specs of the 002 rack and see how you match that up with the input specs of the pedal or whatever it is you plan on reamping to. If you get hum, buzz, noise, or any other change that wasn't a part of the original signal, then it's not matching up right.

Something that's not so obvious that you should look out for is the D/A conversion on the 002 rack. When you're sending signal out digital to analog, there are roll offs (hi pass and lo pass) both recording and sending out signal. You don't have control over that unless you have the knowledge to rig the 002 electronically. Granted, they aren't within the audiable spectrum, but they still affect your signal. The more expensive A/D units will do it much smoother.

So in other words, make sure you keep your digital-to-analog conversions to a minimum, especially on an 002 rack. You'll get better results that way.

If it was me, I would try to get the best and final signal the first time in. But for the sake of practicing reamping, you can do that with a reamplifing box in your arsenal. For furture reference, Jensen does make some of the best transformers for these applications and you can find them in numerous brands of DI- Boxes and Re-Amping boxes.

Thanks man. I want to get a reamping box but there are more pressing things to be bought, mainly more treatment and better monitors ect.

unfortunatly im not sure of the Marshall 2203's input specs and couldnt find anything on google. Im sure the 002 desks specs are easier to find but no point without the 2203's

Also the roll offs are a good point to point out but as it happens i knew this when i looked up Hi-Z inputs and why not to use regular in's

Aww fuck a typo in the heading great!
Well to be honest I don't see how it'll do damage really all i wawnt to know is how in gods name do i know that im adding enough gain bar bad sound which leads to a better question of how do i know to stop adding gain bar explosions and smoke? the amp goes fucking loud so ears bleeding dosn't necessarily mean too much gain from the desk!

While on the topic of spam the easiest way of knowing if its spam except for the title is that all the spam posts seem tho have a pic of pages next to them if anything else its usually real no matter how badly worded the title is :(

Sorry Fish. I didn't mean to mislead you. I meant "Reaming" can do some damage.:D

Lee has the real answer. :)

Why don't you non-committal bastards just record a good sound in the first place? The tone is so much an influence on the way someone plays I don't see the point of re-amping.

Well the days gone now, so the answer was no you cant as lee said i got all kinds of signal noise that wasnt part of the original signal, lesson learned.

I just played the part again in the real space and it came out a waaaay better take it was much tighter! any way if theres a better way to reamp with a 002 it would still be good to know as a lot of stuff cant be played through the 2203 because of noise levels.

Thanks any one that helped (lee and andy mainly!)

Back