Will have sex for recording advice

pazmon11

I know virtually nothing about recording software and hardware.

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop

with an ESS Maestro soundcard,

256 MB of RAM,

and Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

What else should I get to (for less than $500) make recordings of vocals and guitar?

I need advice on mics, interfaces, software, and anything I am too ignorant to know I should be asking about

Thanks

Jeez, I guess the secret to getting a lot of answers is to post the same question twice...

Oh wait, that's just the secret of pissing everyone off! Silly me.

Here's a tip: use the search function and look past the first page and you'll have all your answers.

fair enough, I guess I'm just too impatient. Sorry if I ruined your day. But because I am not asking a very educated question, I think there will be few interested enough to reply. So give me a break....I mean, who really wants to take the time to give me all their advice on getting started?

Stick around and read. It is by far the best way to learn. No one can answer your questions right now because they are too vague, but you will need a Mic (Shure SM57 is really common), a Pre-amp for the mic, and probably a better soundcard, I have never heard of the one you mentioned.

Since you have Cakewalk, you dont need any more software right now, that will be great. All you have to do is figure it out!!

Mic like Shure SM57, stand and Cable=$110-120
Preamp $160
Soundcard $200-240

Should make the $500 limit if you get good prices

thanks dave, that was helpful...and I guess I will just continue to read through the forum. It's just that most of the people here are dropping a lot of cash and have bigger aims than I do, so the advice out there doesn't often apply to a poorly-funded college kid.

Yup, some of the fun toys are very expensive, indeed. However, Cakewalk is a good program, and if you spend your money wisely, you might be suprised that you can get a decent sound for cheap once you do your homework

Oh, BTW, when do we have sex? Oh wait, you are probably a guy, forget it. (we have thousands of members here, and I think only 5 of them are female. Drats!)

yeah, I'm a guy.
I'll admit the offer was a shameless marketing ploy. I'll see if I can talk one of the female members into a sexual rendezvous. Hope you're not too dissapointed.

Works for me...

I have a Roland U-8 USB interface. They were all the rage... for about a month! It is solid, however. Built in effects... Russian-space-capsule-monkey-pilot-easy. Included Cubasis VST software for PC. Software is decent, but locked in at 8 tracks and no more! (Awww... they'd just let me waste more time tinkering with overdubs anyway!) I use it with a Jetta laptop, Celeron @ 800mHz. Faders control audio and MIDI, built in Roland effects, tuner and all the ins/outs you could need for a small setup. Only complaint: no phantom power for my condenser mics... not a big deal as anything they would build in wouldn't compare to my outboard unit, but still... *** I paid $350 on Ebay... they go for around $250 now... nice price. The Tascam US428 is still in Musicians Friend and has 24bit (U-8 only has 20bit) My ear is not that fine-tuned. Either of these are good for use with laptop. (just watch out for OS compatibility!) Good luck!

Back