Will Bass Traps help this??

pinhedgtr

Processing
Here is my problem; when my mix sounds good in my monitors and I export it and play it on other systems, there is too much low end in the mix. Will Bass traps or panels help fix this?
Thanks,
B

pinhedgtr said:
Here is my problem; when my mix sounds good in my monitors and I export it and play it on other systems, there is too much low end in the mix. Will Bass traps or panels help fix this?

Yes.

Hey, that was easy! :D

--Ethan

Bass traps wont exactly "fix" it, they will allow you to hear more accurately so you can get a better mix. There was a time when I thought it wouldn't make much difference....Man, was I wrong!

So is it best to put these in the corners at a 45 degree angle? Are they suppossed to hang off of the wall like an inch or so? Thanks for your help, I want to make a couple this weekend.

B

pinhedgtr said:
So is it best to put these in the corners at a 45 degree angle? Are they suppossed to hang off of the wall like an inch or so? Thanks for your help, I want to make a couple this weekend.

B

The reason for the corners is that the low frequency waves are long, and so they tend to 'stack up' in the longest section of your room, corner to corner. Techincally, you can get away with treat two corners (one on each diagnal) to handle each of the corner-to-corner spaces. That said, the more the better, so if you can put 4 inches of 703 in all the corners floor to ceiling you will get pretty good trapping results. You may also want to float a "clould" of absobtion over your mixing station, tp break up the verticle waves right there.
If i understand this right, the reason you put the panels straddling the corner, is again due to the wavelength of the low frequency waves, the open space behind the absobtion allows more of the wave to pass thorgh and get trapped .

Daav

Thanks for your help guys! Wow that is one informative site you've got there Ethan. Thanks for taking thae time and doing that!

B

Back