will a TRS(M) - Dual 1/4th Patch cable work to connect my mixer to monitors??

Noah Wilcox

will a TRS(M) - Dual 1/4th Patch cable work to connect my mixer to monitors??
or will i have to get an 'insert cable' instead. i dont know the difference so if someone can help me on that...

thanks

Yeah, more details are needed for a definitive answer.

Are you thinking of using a stereo headphone socket to feed your monitors?

Make and model numbers of your mixer and powered monitors would be needed to give a useful answer.

Mixer: guitarcenter .com/Yamaha-MG102C-10-Input-Stereo-Mixer-with-Compression -104227327-i1172628.gc
2 different Pairs of monitors: guitarcenter. com/Hercules-XPS-2-0-80-DJ-Monitor-Speakers-Pai r-H79526-i2286307.gc
guitarcenter. com/M-Audio-AV-30-Compact-Monitor-Speakers-1077648 62-i1932064.gc

Thanks for the model numbers. From what I could see from the images of these connectors, yes, TRS to TRS cables should do the trick.

Cheers! :)

Your mixer outputs and monitor inputs both use 1/4" TRS. You simply need two balanced cables with male 1/4" TRS connectors on both ends.

An insert cable is for a different purpose entirely and not the correct cable for the job. The difference with an insert cable is that it's wired with one TRS connector on one end, and a couple TS cables on the other. One TS is a send line while the other is a return line. The TRS side is wired with the tip as the send and the ring as the return. This type of cable is intended only for insert points on mixer channels where you're sending the signal to a piece of outboard equipment and then bringing it back in all on one single mixer patch point.

For your mixer output to active monitor inputs, though, you have two balanced cables each going in the same direction, so you just need two balanced patch cables in whatever length you want, one for the left side and the other for the right side, both with 1/4" TRS ends on both ends.

If I'm understanding correctly what he wants to do, he has two sets of monitor speakers and wants to connect one to the proper L&R monitor outs--and then (and this is the unclear bit) use the stereo headphone jack via a splitter cable to his other monitors.

For this, yes, insert cables would work--sort of. In a standard insert cable, the tip and sleeve of the TRS go to tip and sleeve of a TS jack and the ring and sleeve go to the tip and sleeve of the other jack.

However, I'd strongly advise against working this way--the Yamaha mixer only has a single gain control for headphone and monitor outputs. The chances of the relative levels being appropriate on both are fairly slim and it would just be a messy way of working.

If you really have to use both sets of speakers, I'd probably try two TRS to 2 TRS Y cable off the monitor output, something like THIS (apologies it's an Aussie site but eBay gets too clever and sends me to their local version.. You might still have the same level balancing issues but at least you'd have a fighting chance since you'd have two line level feeds rather than a line level and headphone level off the same pot.

Back