Wilkinson Tremolo

pennylink

Is a Wilkinson Tremolo stable and reliable? How difficult or complicated is it to change the strings and adjust the intonation?

I'm used to the vintage tremolo in my MIM Strat, and I don't use it because it wreaks havoc with the tuning!

pennylink said:
Is a Wilkinson Tremolo stable and reliable? How difficult or complicated is it to change the strings and adjust the intonation?

I'm used to the vintage tremolo in my MIM Strat, and I don't use it because it wreaks havoc with the tuning!

The Wilkinson is a two-point design, which will increase tuning stability. It's a nice trem, but I prefer the other trem that Gotoh makes, the vintage trem like Don Grosh and Melancon use on their guitars. I don't think it's available as a replacement part though... I can't find them anywhere. The closest might be the Fender USA type bridge.

A

Aaron Cheney said:
I prefer the other trem that Gotoh makes, the vintage trem like Don Grosh and Melancon use on their guitars.

Why do you like that one better than the Wilk?

I don't own a Wilk but I've been thinking about sticking one on my wood blocked strat, so I can get rid of the fernandes w/ floyd. A friend of mine has a Wilkinson on an 80's strat and says it stays in tune quite well. I believe he has locking tuners (not nut) on that strat. Another friend has one on a parker fly and says it stays in tune well; I forget if that one had a locking nut or locking tuners.

Back