Wierd stuff

mbuster

Just getting started with Sonar xl 2. When I monitor my input, I can hear whatever instrument I'm using, and it sounds fine. As soon as I press record, I can hear everything twice. It sounds like a delay, but it only happens some of the time. Also, how come it tells me my soundcard isn't capable of stereo input, when it is? Now this next question should reveal just how little I know about computer recording. What is Latency?Where should I set this?

Actually the two things you mention is connected. To avoid hearing everything twice during recording you need to turn of Input Monitoring. Go to Options -> Audio -> Input Monitoring, and and unselect the inputs.

Latency is the time it takes for the computer to process the sound. For example you have a softsynth and the latency is the time it takes from you pressing a key on your midi-controller, til the sound is heard.

Input Monitoring is a way to hear what you're recording with the effects you have running in realtime on that track. Example: You have a delay as an Insert effect on one of the tracks. You arm the track and sing in to the mic. The sound goes into your soundcard and is processed by Sonar and Sonar feeds it back to your soundcard. The processing time is the latency. If you have a low-latency soundcard (i.e. not a Soundblaster or any kind of gamers card), Input Monitoring is usefull. You need under 10 ms latency to take full advantage of Input Monitoring and DXi softsynths...

Back