Why wont my computer install my soundcard?

Sven Pakkanen

Very tricky problem. I have an old Steinberg MI-4, a recording interface that I use with Sonar to produce music. I have is working great with Sonar, but I can't get Windows to use it as a sound card for internet, itunes, etc.

I am using a verified Windows Vista 32-Bit installation. The MI-4 has a installer wizard for Vista that can be downloaded from Steinberg's website. Therefore the driver is a part of the installer wizard, and not it's own file, which rules out manual installation.

The MI-4 has 2 separate drivers and is recognized as 2 separate devices. It has it's USB driver, and it's Audio driver.

The Audio driver is what will not install. When I try an automatic search windows says it found a driver, but "the computer can't find the file specified."

Strangely enough, there is a driver IN MY SYSTEM 32 driver folder named MI4Audio.sys, but when I tell it to search in that folder it finds nothing. I am at wit's end.

So, to me it seems that the driver was installed on the computer, but not registered. So is there a way to run regedit and sign the driver accordingly? Or should I just keep 2 sets of speakers on my desk?

Thanks ahead of time.

~Sven

can you use it at all? Like from your audio program? If not, try running the installer without plugging it in and only plug it in when prompted but into a different USB port

So does it show up at all on your "sounds" menu in your control panel? If it does you should only need to right click on it there and set it as the default device

May just be a UAC Vista problem. Have you tried re-installing the driver by right clicking the setup file and using run as administrator

No, it does not show up at all in the sounds menu, though it did on a previous windows installation that I had before. I have UAC turned off, so that can't be it either unfortunately.

Ok, well, this is very embarrassing. I have gone through 3 days of messing with this on all of my time off, and just realized this moring that I forgot one very important step: testing it in another USB port. I had it plugged into a PCI USB hub, and it didn't work on it but now it's on the onboard USB and it works wonders. Thanks for attempting to help, everyone.

Back