Why use 1/4" balanced output instead of 3.5mm?

dwally89

Hi, first time poster here.
I've been recording for a while and have finally decided to buy myself some (cheap) monitors. My interface has a 3.5mm headphone output, and also 1/4" line outputs (don't know if they're balanced or unbalanced?), and the monitors have a 3.5mm aux-in, unbalanced RCA, and balanced 1/4" inputs. The monitors came with an RCA to 3.5mm cable, a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, but no balanced 1/4" cables.

Questions:
  1. Any reason not to connect my interface to my monitors using the headphone out on the interface, to the RCA input on the monitors?
  2. Any reason not to connect using the headphone out on the interface to the aux-in on the monitors?
  3. Any reason to connect using the 1/4" outputs on the interface to the 1/4" balanced inputs on the monitors?
Thanks in advance!

Option 3 is best. Remember that headphone amps on audio devices are designed to power real drivers - so their design allows for decent current capability and rarely low noise. The ¼" outputs may or may not be balanced - but impedance wise and level wise are optimised to the job option 3 allows.

Having the headphone output available for headphones seems a sensible option - but in practice, I doubt you will hear a sonic difference. A balanced input of the usual differential type does give some scope for noise reduction if you have any interface ground loop issues.

Personally - in the real world, looking for a particular cable in the junk case, I'd use the first suitable cable I could find - RCA or jack, it would not bother me.

Option 3. When balanced connection is provided, I prefer not to defeat it. The 1/4" output on the 2i2 3rd generation is balanced.

Larger contact surface area usually gives you a more reliable connection, it's also harder to damage.

3.5mm sockets always seem to be soldered direct to the PCB, so when you knock or bang on, it can damage the board - ¼", even with direct PCB mounting is more solid and stable - and as Vox says, the larger surface area also grips the connector more tightly. 3.5mm jacks fall out with passing wind!

Back