why upgrade to SX?

Neil Ogilvie

Still Learning.......
Some of you may be familiar with my previous popping problems with my system, despite one of the best threads to have come out of this BBS covering popping problems (Cheers Bass Master and all!).

Well........ New system! I'm now running a Delta 1010lt with a Pentium 2.4 gig processor, Intel motherboard (and chipset) and a Gig of RAM. Woo Hoo! I've upgraded to XP aswell (I couldn't with my old soundcard) and with no tweaks it is running perfectly with no pops or anything. You wouldn't believe how happy I am.....

Anyway, due to the limitations on my previous soundcard I was stuck on 98se, so I could only use VST 32, not SX. Now I am on XP, is it really worth spending out even more money to upgrade to SX?

I do very little MIDI work, the odd click track here and there. Really I only use the Audio side of Cubase.

What does everyone think?

Neil

"I do very little MIDI work, the odd click track here and there. Really I only use the Audio side of Cubase"

No question go SX/SL.

It is a far superior app for audio, it even sounds better in practice due to the lack of phase errors after audio edits, present in all previous Cubase versions, most complaints are about loss of advanced midi features.

Hippo

I'd have to agree with Hippo. Except for some temporarily missing MIDI features, everyone (who has used both) pretty much agrees that SX is a superior program. Heck that's why people are wining about the missing MIDI features because after they used SX they didn't WANT to go back to VST32 because of the extras that SX does have.

I am not sure what the upgrade price currently is, but there are two little words that I think you will agree, make the price a good one:

Unlimited Undo :D

I'm off for some well needed vactation folks! Have a great week!

I'm never gonna upgrade to SX from VST32 as long as the VST is still working on my system ;) ...I demo-ed SX and I just hated the GUI , so didn't even have the nerves to try everything it probably had to offer...I know that you have to spend some time with every program to work it out, but with VST i was under way in a couple of hours....with SX...don't think so...
Its knobs on the mixer remind me of Logic a lot...if I can remember right...another reason I hate it...;)

I suggest sticking with VST32..if it performs ok with your new system

Not to sound too glib, but are there any reasons other than "better sounding" tracks? (still, sounds kind of funny to ask)

Waves plug-ins, and the UAD-1 are why I ask... spending about $500-1000 more dollars to get the SAME Waves plugins for OS-X (Mac) doesn't sit well in my stomach, and currently the UAD-1 card isn't "carbonized" (ported over) to OS-X yet.

Running SX plugin-free (or, with stock plugins) sounds like going from ice-cream back to mudpies :(

participant said:
Not to sound too glib, but are there any reasons other than "better sounding" tracks? (still, sounds kind of funny to ask)

Waves plug-ins, and the UAD-1 are why I ask... spending about $500-1000 more dollars to get the SAME Waves plugins for OS-X (Mac) doesn't sit well in my stomach, and currently the UAD-1 card isn't "carbonized" (ported over) to OS-X yet.

Running SX plugin-free (or, with stock plugins) sounds like going from ice-cream back to mudpies :(

How do you like the UAD-1? I was looking at that.
Anywho, another option would be to set-up SX as your main editor and then use VST System Link to a non-OSX machine for the plug-ins and UAD-1. Just a thought.

participant said:

I read about this in Tape Op magazine. A very tough break for people upgrading their mac system. It sounds expensive :(

Back