Why the use of multiple keyboards?

v01d

I've only just began in the production of beats.
I have a casio lk-50 which i haven't used yet as i am waiting for my midi-to-usb to come in.
Looking at other people's studio i notice that most have 2-3 keyboards in them.
What is the use of this?

It's probably mostly just gear addiction :D

But also there are many many many different kinds of synths out there that produce all kinds of different sounds.

Also a lot of MIDI keyboards have all kinds of different features which might allow you to do things that you can't do with another keyboard.

Me? I have three. I have a cheap MIDI keyboard that I use for when I'm playing live or something like that where I don't want my nicer one to get damaged. Then I've got my nicer one, and then I have a tiny one for when I travel.

Do I need all three? Probably not. Do I WANT all three? No...I want about 5 more! :p:drunk:

It's probably mostly just gear addiction :D

But also there are many many many different kinds of synths out there that produce all kinds of different sounds.

Also a lot of MIDI keyboards have all kinds of different features which might allow you to do things that you can't do with another keyboard.

Me? I have three. I have a cheap MIDI keyboard that I use for when I'm playing live or something like that where I don't want my nicer one to get damaged. Then I've got my nicer one, and then I have a tiny one for when I travel.

Do I need all three? Probably not. Do I WANT all three? No...I want about 5 more! :p:drunk:

haha so another noob question. How can i use the sounds that come with my keyboard and record them on FL Studio?

You didn't specify what kind of keyboards you see in these studios. You'll likely find that some of the studios you may look in have different keyboard instruments - organs, mellotrons, synthesizers, clavinets, pianettes, electric pianos, synclaviers, harpsichords, harmoniums, MIDI controllers......and quite a few different makes of each of these and more. There have been so many keyboard instruments developed over the last 60 years and although they're pretty much all digitally sampled now, some still like the actual instrument. Different keyboards bring different textures and sounds.

I have many, many synths and modules simply because it became obvious to me very early on that no synth really does everything well, so having access to multiple synths can cover more instrumental ground.

The other advantage is each synth/module has it's own output since it's a separate unit, and if you choose to add an outboard effect and/or EQ changes to one sound/synth/module, you can do so. When you have 16 sounds coming out of one or two output jacks you really can't do that unless the synth has that functionality built it - and for the most part, dedicated outboards sound far better and are easier to tweak than something built in.

The same applies to recording say, an acoustic drum kit. If you record the kit with one microphone, the volume of each instrument in the kit is "locked" as is how they sound, because you are collecting all the combined sounds through one microphone. Adding a little gating to a snare, or a little phasing to a high-hat at that point is impossible. That's why it's generally best to separate each percussive instrument with a separate microphone, then you can tweak EQ, gating and effects per instrument rather than across the whole thing.

It's about flexibility.

Some of us (like me) did get sucked into the "must have more" gear-slut syndrome, and ended up with several modules/synths that we use once in a blue moon if at all. It's how it goes.

Back