Why the need for an external compressor?

bvp663

Well, I'm considering purchasing the FMR RNP mic pre, and took notice the RNC compressor. Seeing as I'd hate to have the RNP all lonely it's rackspace, perhaps I should purchase an RNC for it to be friends with. My question is, is it worth purchasing an external compressor? With all the different software compressors our there today, I couldn't think of a reason to purchase an external. Plus, you usually want to add compression after the fact as opposed to as you're tracking the sound. Comments? Suggestions? Wisdom?
Thanks

what's your setup?

If you currently do all of your mixing in the box then there's probably no need for any external processing. Put the money towards a UAD-1 card or something.

bvp663 said:
Well, I'm considering purchasing the FMR RNP mic pre, and took notice the RNC compressor. Seeing as I'd hate to have the RNP all lonely it's rackspace, perhaps I should purchase an RNC for it to be friends with. My question is, is it worth purchasing an external compressor? With all the different software compressors our there today, I couldn't think of a reason to purchase an external. Plus, you usually want to add compression after the fact as opposed to as you're tracking the sound. Comments? Suggestions? Wisdom?
Thanks

In my opinion, external compressors serve two distict purposes:

1) avoiding peaking during tracking -- for a widely dynamic instrument/voice, it may be difficult to get a solid enough signal during quiet parts without clipping during the louder parts. Obviously in the digital domain, where tape hiss is not an issue, having a lower-gain signal is not as much of a problem, so you could just turn it down. That being said, I use an external compressor for bass guitar, dynamic vocal parts (just a touch) and occasionally for acoustic guitar.

2) shaping the sound/quality -- if you have nice software compressors, you can get pretty close to the sound of some classic outboard compressors. If you are relying on cheap/free plugins (as I often do), outboard compression may give you a better quality compression than you could get "in the box."

Software compressors do have some advantages, such as "look ahead" capability and such. So, I tend to use both where needed.

bvp663 said:
My current setup is with an Event EZbus usb into the computer. It actually has a compressor and EQ built into it, but i'm not sure how good it is.

Hmmm...I'm not familiar with that product, but I did some searching and it seems to have gotten some pretty good reviews.

The bottom line is, if you are happy with the quality of the recordings you are making now, you probably don't need to buy any new outboard gear.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm definately purchasing and RNP, because for some reason the Ezbus does not have enough headroom at all. Whenever I'm mic'ing anything I usually have the trim cranked as far as it will go. So i need to boost levels before they go in.
Thanks to everyone who helped.

Back