Why such a sibilance problem with Zoom PS-02? Is it just me?

nostrovia

Hi, I just received my PS-02 Friday and I've been tinkering with it. It's excellent and very intuitive. I am having one problem though and I'd like to see what you guys think.

It seems the unit may be especially sensitive to the "S" vocal sound. No matter what gain I have the unit set at or whether I use the interal mic or the external mic, the S sound crackles and distorts.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I've never had such a problem with sibilance on other digitial recording equipment. Even when singing softly I can hear a bit of a crackle.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks,
ChrisR

I just think that's the caracteristics of the onboard piezo: don't expect miracles from that stuff.

When you say you use an external mic and it still has the problem, that's pretty weird. Which external mic do you use?

Tried three...

I actually tried three mics. The AT4033, MXL1006, and a AKG C1000S. Usually I record with an Aardvark PRO 24/96 and I can't remember ever having a sibilance problem like this.

I thought it was probably the internal mic too, until I tried these other mics.

I hope this unit isn't defective. Well, strike that, actually I do hope it's defective, 'cause if they're all like this that'd suck.

I wonder if the signal is somehow getting over amplified. I'm running the external mics through a pre and into the PS-02. If the PS-02 is re amping the signal I could see that possibly causing problems. But, then how could that be the problem if the internal mic is giving be the same results. And on top of it, I've only noticed the problem with the S sound. I'll have to experiement a bit more, but I'd rather not spend too much time trying to fix a unit that might be defective.

<sigh> And this is one of the reasons I got the Zoom so I wouldn't have to mess as often with a buggy PC (which, right now is having the motherboard repaired by the manufacturer, MSI). I'm guessing there's a few of you out there that can relate ;)

And...

The other thing that leads me to believe maybe it's a faulty unit is that I haven't found any information about a similar problem anywhere.

Granted it's hard to search this forum for PS 02 since the search terms have to be over two characters. Search with PS-02, yields prescious few results.

Back