Why Not Start Your own record company?

If the resources were available who would start their own record label?

• Heck yeah I would

Votes: 256 79.8%
  • No its too much work

Votes: 39 12.1%
  • Never considered it

Votes: 26 8.1%

• Total voters
tanlith said:
Yep - looks like we're on the same page amigo!

Actually, did you realize that if you had $1,000,000 to spend and a product that was Genre apropriate and "decent" (Meaning it meets the basic requirements for radio play) then you could very well "engineer" it into a #1 hit?

I did not know the procedure as you explanied it, but I DO beilive it 100%. It makes perfect sense.....

bigwillz24 said:
It does now :D

The site still sucks to me though...

Know any good web designers who want to make 100 bucks? :p

Hey Im interested if your interested.. we can talk on it.

You are the notes you play

"Why give away something the corporation could never create on their own?"

Excellant post here. I especially like the line above.

Yet, the Santa Claus theory still persists. Many bands and solo artists alike still believe in Santa. They still believe that THEIR MUSIC ALONE can get them signed. Many think that if they listen to enough A&R, spend the big money on tools and equipment, send out the proper cover letter at precisely the correct time, have a nice attitude over the phone, try real hard to mix the best mix, select the the best material, be persistant, tenacious, kind, reverant, loyal, obedient, etc.etc., A&R and labels will beat a path to their door, hold out a pen and a contract and plead for them to sign on the dotted line.

The fact is, the industry is bloated with the profits of old catalog. They're so fat, they can't even bend down to tie their oun shoes. The honest truth is, there's a glut of music, bands, artists and performers. I've said it before and I'll say it again. "We have the proverbial tail wagging the proverbial dog." We can't even get our oun music on our local radio stations. They're freakin all bought up by the major corporations of which are affiliated (in bed with) the recording industry.

Look, I have nothing against "The Dream" and opportunities American and other. However, individuals and bands need to be more sellective and judicial. Be more commanding with their inspired material. Know their IP is special and valuable. Consider your IP proprietary instead of forcing it away from you onto the web, much of which can be ripped and is free.

]"do not cast your pearls before swine"

Last edited:
I'm thinking about starting a label. Not some indie label but an actual label. Just going to the courthouse and getting DBA and file for a Tax Number doesn't officially make you a label.

Why do people start labels? To control their own destiny and artform by owning their own label or to get picked up by a larger label or distributor by proving that your music is marketable. Me, I know what to do to start a label because I've read so many books. Like, if you're starting a label don't make and send out demos. That's a no no, what you do is make a single and do what it takes to get that single heard. Don't try to go all out either, just cover a few area and the buzz should be coming shortly after. You have to promote the single/album so cover areas where you know you can get to. If you live in Cali, why try to promote your music in New York. You just having to go back and forth will take all your money. Don't try to rush into starting your label either. Take it a step at a time. Like, I'm going to do everything myself. I'm the artist, producer, promoter, dj, and etc. Why? Because I want to save up enough money to be able to support a artist. Like as of right now, I'm making mixtapes to get the money to start the label. I'm going to open an account for the label. So once I make my first album, I can put it out under my label and see bigger label look at that. That they will check it is "SoundScan" and if they see you can sell records. Most likely they'll try to work a deal out with you. Don't focus on getting a distributor right away. You can get a better deal once you can prove your record can sell.

But to start the label all you need to do is...
Choose A Name
File A Fictitious Name Statement (DBA)
Choose A Form Of Business For Your Label
Get A Business License
Optain A Tax ID Number - Optional (Only if you plan to hire people)
Get A Retail License - Optional (Only if you're selling your record directly to the public)

And with that you'll have your own label. But don't forget you have to join a performance right organization (ASCAP or BMI).

When it comes to "Trademark" you'll need a lawyer to handle that. It could cost you about $500-$5000 for the whole process to be complete.

One thing people don't know is that indie labels do different processes than the ones who are starting a big label. But before you do anything, make sure you write a business plan and a marketing plan.

But anyway, there's a lot of reasons why people start their own labels and as of right now for me. I'm trying to start mine once I get everything in order. It's not hard but it does take some money, but in the long run you're actually be a winner. Me, I have a lot of connections. Some people don't have any, but that's what makes you want to work even harder. What you have to do it "Think Like A Label". And just because you have a label, doesn't mean you should quit your day job.

This is the end of this post but here's "9 Excuses For Not Having Your Own Label"

1. I don't have any money!
-Go to family and friends or just get a job.
2. I don't have enough material.
-Start out with a vinyl or cassette, remember DJs still spin vinyls. I should know.
3. I don't have a steady gig.
-This one is tough. But it is even tougher to promote you or the artist without a product.
4. I don't have distribution.
-Independent owned music stores may be willing to take your music.
5. I don't have a agent.
-Get a friend or family member to front for you. It's easy!
6. Don't have a manager.
-If you have access to the internet, make a inquiry.
7. I don't have recording equipment.
-Home recording is becoming more popular, so just go with that.
8. My music isn't copyrighted.
-If you song is on tape, writing down, etc. It's legally copyrighted but it only cost like $20-$30 for each work. Just send in the whole CD.
9. I don't have any agreement with any music licensing organization.
-If you want your music on the air or someone to collect publishing royalities then you go with either ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC.

That's about it. Take Care Now!!!

gospel group

I'M WITH A GOSPEL GROUP,WE HAVE REHEARSAL FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS AND NOW WE ARE READY TO COME OUT. WE DID GO OUT FOR APPEARANCES, BEFORE,BUT WHATS HAPPENING IS THAT OTHER GROUPS AR STEALING OUR SONGS THAT WE'VE WROTE. SO WE CAN'T MAKE APPEARANCES HARDLY UNTIL WE GET OUR CD OR DEMO OUT.
ragata said:
I suppose it all depends on what you want to achive. Your name on posters all over the country, airplay, mediabuzz - forget it :)
I have put out a 10" vinyl with on own label, and am about to release an MCD by a talanted local act me and my peers want to support. However, all this has simply meant increased credability for the bands in question, and reviews, quite a few gigs, a bit of attention in the particular scene and a WHOLE lot of hard work and curses.
I can honestly say that it's fun to do it all by yourself, but by now I sure do know that I am a musician first and a "businessman"... we'll I'm not. I'm a guy putting out records, really. What I was trying to communicate was that it's a lot of work for little, depending on your goal. But it sure is great to hold that record in your hand once it's finished :)
I'm a bit sleepy, so please excuse me if I'm being a bit unclear here...

peopleperson said:
Does any band seriously actually need a record label if they've got DSL and some free time?

No, but going through the process is a great deterrent for anyone looking to pilfer your music and call it their own. Sure you're protected by copyright, but the burden of proof lies in your lap.

Very good thread lots of usfull information

Thanks to all before me found it a great read. :D

considering creating a label. :rolleyes:

this site has a lot of good information. :D

I'm new here not posted many times. :p

once again thanks for a great read. :D

yeah good read guys...

i also have a name that i put on everthing but just because i record/mix/master/produce/... everthing.... a couple different bandnames and i just want to tie them together somehow so people know that i m the one who does it...

interesting thread though...

so i guess it would be hard to sell your music privately or through a indie musicstore with at least a name at the bottom of the cd that looks like a label lol....

My understanding is that the A&R guys no longer have the big budgets that they did back in the day. They pretty much want a band that knows how to market themselves -- and by this they want someone that's going to market the entire package and get people interested in them and following them. There's a big gap below the major labels -- there's almost no need for a major label anymore. The best strategy 'could' be to team up with a couple of similar bands and make a label beyond the one act. This way you can do a full label show and/or showcase to get people interested in the entire catalog. It'll be tough because unless there's 1 manager that is will to do the work for everyone then there will be some major issues.

I read every single post in this thread. VERY IMFORMATIVE.

Im a struggling artist myself, trying to get my records pushed. I have over 75 unheard tracks, but no label. I have two local labels wanting to sign me, but after reading all the "business" info in here, I learned alot. I feel like a new man.

Thanks everyone for taking your time out. Thank god for the internet.

God bless

Signing with a label isn't a bad idea sometimes. If you know what you're talking about, you CAN get a really good deal.

Make sure you can own your own masters

Now, this isn't as much of a problem as I will explain why later. Back in the earlier days of the recording business, albums were expensive to make. The record label had good reason to want to own the SR copyright, since they put up all of the money to make the recording and to promote it.

Now with how cheap quality home recording gear is, you can make a professional CD by yourself for under $3,000. Compared to $2,000,000 that is a steal.

A label is now more open to letting you own your own masters since you put all of the effort into making your CD. All the label has to do is promote and distribute it, and is generally a win-win for both. You can most likely get from 40-60% of the profits, which is a hell of a lot better than 6-10%.

The best place to get involved with is a Promotions/Managerial Company

These are starting to pop up like crazy. What they do, is exactly what the title says. They help promote and manage your material. Usually they are VERY artist friendly, and take very little profit wise.

Remember, content is key.

I started a label too. I think its a good idea and works if you have people that think alike doing it with you. Its important they have skills you dont have too. Im good in biznez but it does affect my creativity. Thing is noone that knows more then me is willing to work for the future, the only people that will are fellow musicians. Who dont mind promoting there music and doing little things to build the name up. I have to wear alot of hats and I have found some people willing do them just not as effective as I could. I recently found a enginer who can mix and master my music and is willing to help establish my company. And hes willing to take deffered payments if we end up not making money he doesnt care. But it is hard to find dedicated people and im still looking for more people. The advantage to releasing your album on your label to just releasing it, is your building a brand and you might have people that end up buying your cd just cuz of that, Im working with different musicians and if there cds sell 2500 we will make out, then when my album comes out half the people that bought that album might buy it off the strength of that. After several small releases you will end up with the potenial to sell more records. And everyone will notice when they see 10 different releases from you, and it will be alot easier to get shelf space. Its alot of work but so is making it in any biznez, not to mention how hard it is to actualy et signed to a good deal. key being a good deal possibly were your picked up by a bigger label. The other thing is your proven to the industry that your willing to put in the work, time, and money,

another quick thought. poeple buy all this garbage because of the follow the leader mentality they have and were taught in school, they dont encourage independent thinkers if you ask questions theyll usualy kick you out of class, and if you question them you have to deal with ridicule. Also I have always been a fan of indy music ill use young jeezy as a example I have over 5 cds from him sum are 5 years old. When I told people about him they werent feeling him and blah blah, now that he has 5 videos out they love him, and its the same stuff i had years ago. hes not even making new music. only thing that has changed is there perception. I beleive the same will happen for boosie and webbie who I talk about on the regular to hear never heard of him, when i bring up give me that pussy they say oh yeah i like em. and they both came out with there majors release just havent been heavily promoted. By the way with all the music lovers on this sight and small labels we could join up to make a major label. One advantage they have is thousands of employes if we all worked together we would have a huge staff. And almost all of us do our own recordings so we would only have to work on distribution and promo. I could help people get there music in stores in ct, and someone could help get mine in ca and etc.....

i am willing to help get some cds in stores in central VA - if i could get the same . . . i have jsut this year started my label and having a time handling so many dif. duties and responsibilities

i am willing to help get some cds in stores in central VA - if i could get the same . . . i have jsut this year started my label and having a time handling so many dif. duties and responsibilities)

IM DOWN I CAN GET SOME IN NEW LONDON,CT, AND A FEW IN WESTERLY ,RI

Well, I don't think I have the pull to get cd's in stores, but I will be happy to put up and pass out promo stuff for the Columbus, GA area.

Back