Why my mixes sound like sh*t on phones

YellowDwarf

Dismember
And ... don't forget to bounce a mix to mono cuz that's what you're getting out of a phone.

If you've never done this, you'll be surprised that when you get a song sounding great in mono and you switch back to stereo ... it's like a door opening with somebody saying VOILA!

Timbo

bouldersoundguy

<div><p>&nbsp;</p></div>
And ... don't forget to bounce a mix to mono cuz that's what you're getting out of a phone.

If you've never done this, you'll be surprised that when you get a song sounding great in mono and you switch back to stereo ... it's like a door opening with somebody saying VOILA!

Timbo
My DAW has a mono button, so you can instantly hear the difference without bouncing to a file.

Mono mixes are really nice to listen to imo. Smooth. focused, intimate, warm. I'd probably never bounce a mono mix down, but when listening to my stereo mix on a mono speaker it sounds so good to me.

I'll switch to mono all throughout my mix, sometimes I forget I'm even in mono....... then when I blend that stereo delay in like 8db's too hot because that's what sounds right to me in mono. I am always in for a surprise when switching back to stereo. HELLO hello hello lo lo lo.

Rookie mistakes. heh

jitteringjim

Insert Custom Title Here
The vast majority of music listeners today listen on sub-par garbage. I have three teenagers that had never heard music on a "real" stereo system until a year or two ago & were completely blown away. If you can get a mix/master that sounds great on a decent system and in headphones or earbuds you're doing ok. I don't even consider phone speakers.