Why I Love My Tascam MF-PO1

radiorabies

About a year or so ago I managed to scrape enough cash together to get a Tascam MF-PO1 (a very basic analogue 4-track). And I wrote so many songs and demos etc. on. Songs that have got me on a music course and even my first live show :) .

As the year progressed I managed to upgrade my PC and get some lush 2nd hand home recording software. And I've been spending most of my time trying to re-record the songs in digital quality... But as the time has progressed I have found that I miss my 4-track more and more. There is something about it that lets me simply record an idea without all the flashing buttons (well it does have a blinking light) with bells on. It lets me focus more on the content of the song rather than what FX I can use on it... So what if the it doesn't automatically pan, adds reverb etc. that's what I love about it :D

radiorabies said:
About a year or so ago I managed to scrape enough cash together to get a Tascam MF-PO1 (a very basic analogue 4-track). And I wrote so many songs and demos etc. on. Songs that have got me on a music course and even my first live show :) .

As the year progressed I managed to upgrade my PC and get some lush 2nd hand home recording software. And I've been spending most of my time trying to re-record the songs in digital quality... But as the time has progressed I have found that I miss my 4-track more and more. There is something about it that lets me simply record an idea without all the flashing buttons (well it does have a blinking light) with bells on. It lets me focus more on the content of the song rather than what FX I can use on it... So what if the it doesn't automatically pan, adds reverb etc. that's what I love about it :D

That is why the little porta-studios were invented! They are like a musician's notebook to put ideas down quickly for recording later. They ceratainly are popular for that.

I think it's a bit sad that some people are quite snobby when it comes to analogue. Yeah, digital is cool and all that but it lets people to over-produce songs.

The one thing that is a little annoying is I can only really record on thing at a time as it only has one input. Although this can be quite good as it means I don't have to worry about the tracks getting eaten up by a simple acoustic demo.

One of the reasons I bought the 4-track is 'cos I heard that Devendra Banhart album "Oh Me Oh My... The Way The Day Goes By The Sun Is Setting Dogs Are Dreaming Lovesongs Of The Christmas Spirit", which he completely recorded on the humble 4 track (although an hour or so of acoustic demos but some weird hippy does get a bit tedious).

I'm now listening back to some of my old cassettes and I didn't realise that I had recorded so much, most of which I forgotten. Heck, one songs I completely forgot exsisted and will probably re-record it now... God bless my Tascam MF-PO1.

radiorabies said:
I think it's a bit sad that some people are quite snobby when it comes to analogue. Yeah, digital is cool and all that but it lets people to over-produce songs.

I think you have it right on! Digital tracking most likely lets you produce "the perfect take", which doesn't exist in real life. This in turn, makes the song lifeless. I think the feature rich DAW's and such make is so easy to create a "phony" recording that by its very nature, makes for the worsening of the music scene. With Analog, you better be talented and know how to record or else you're screwed. ;)

Also, the "limitations" one has with an Analog setup makes for truly creative recording sessions, which translates into breathing, living music.

~Daniel

I find it quite difficult to actually achieve the same feel / atmosphere I achieve with my 4-track... I'm so happy to be getting my lil' old 4-track back...

Back