Why I Love Ibanez

xtjdx

Because!
$200 for a GiO that has better tone than my Gibson SG!
That's amazing!
Maybe it's a fluke, but I doubt it!
I love Ibanez so much.
Period.
Discuss.

Edit:
Oh yeah, and an RX170 that has lasted about 5 years, an RG320DX that has lasted 4, combined cost around $500. Amazing. AMAZING.

I personally hate all the new (like, post 80's) ibanez stuff. I think their RG and S lines look like boat peddles with their super slim bodies. The wood I am totally not crazy about either. What I hate most though, is the fact that they all aim for 1 kind of sound. The super flat fingerboard, humbucker setup and amazingly useless bridges just don't work for me. Don't even get me started on the luthide (or whatever) stuff.

On a side note: I've heard good things about the hollow bodies and the old basses seem to be pretty damn. And there's ofcourse the tube screamers that everyone loves. Stay far, far away from the tone-lok pedals though. The distortion screatshed like a burning cat and the switch died after about a week.

Ibanez, I've got three of them so i must like them. I think it's the feel of the neck that appeals to me most. I have fairly small hands so the thin neck is a lot easier for me to play for extended periods without fatigue.

So, I'm not the only one.

I have one of these, which I bought in April, 1981.

http://img314.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ibnz70st6bg.jpg

I bought an SG Standard in 1998. The fucker never stayed in tune. I got to the point where I hated playing the thing, which is sad, because a few of the best guitars I've ever played were early 60's SGs. Anyways, given that the Ibanez gave me a very decent humbucker sound, stayed in tune, and because I knew this guitar inside out, I decided to sell the SG. Although it was nice to look at, it was useless to me as a recording tool. I don't regret selling it.

Oh: I paid $227.00 CAD for the Ibanez in 1981. It needs a bit of work. The volume knob is loose, and a fret needs attention, but that's about it.

:cool:

when I think Ibanez, these are the things that come to mind.

-basswood
-good floyd rose copy - edge
-sharp horns
-low action
-shred
-steve vai
-cheap finish
-expensive high end guitar
-piece of junk low end guitars
-rg570
-guitars that have the same damn wood and same damn design
-too many model names
-bolt-on
-dings and chips

Something funny relating to Rxqueen's list is that I got an Ibanez that has none of that (except I did get low action), and I only paid $300 for it. It's an SZ320MH. Mohagany body, set neck, no trem (strings through body). So, this model is the Ibanez for people who don't want an Ibanez :D I'm real happy with it. I was determined to not get sucked into that whole heavy metal dudes who play Ibanez S-bodies thing, but this one hooked me because it was so different from the other S's. This mahogany body with strings thru body bridge sure is a nice option to have in the arsenal of axes.

I have an SA160QAM w/ s,s,h pups. I first saw it a few years ago when some kid was trying it out. I loved the sound and the looks. I then bought one used for around $300. I still like it, sometimes my hand gets fatigued, but I'm not sure if it's the neck or arthritis setting in because I have the problem even when not playing guitar. The only problem right now are the pots are scratchy and will need to be replaced and eventually I would like to upgrade the pups. The thin body I think is a plus, and the finish is excellent. I envision keeping this for quite a long time if not forever.

jdavidb said:
Something funny relating to Rxqueen's list is that I got an Ibanez that has none of that (except I did get low action), and I only paid $300 for it. It's an SZ320MH. Mohagany body, set neck, no trem (strings through body). So, this model is the Ibanez for people who don't want an Ibanez :D I'm real happy with it. I was determined to not get sucked into that whole heavy metal dudes who play Ibanez S-bodies thing, but this one hooked me because it was so different from the other S's. This mahogany body with strings thru body bridge sure is a nice option to have in the arsenal of axes.

hehe "Ibanez for people who don't want an Ibanez". :D

I own an RG570 and it's a pretty good guitar but I bought it used so it could've been a lot better if I bought a new one. it's a '91 model I think.

My first electric was an RG270DX, now called the RG370DX, they changed the number but nothing on the guitar. Like xtjdx and MK-Ultra I have an Ibanez and an SG standard, only I don't have any tuning problems with my SG.
I have a noodles signature model Ibanez, (the guitar player from the Offspring) and this is the closest I've ever found to my dream guitar. It has a maple bolt-on neck (I actually like bolt-on's because I think it gives it a different kind of sound than a set neck, and I could always replace the neck if I had problems), it has a rosewood fretboard, 99% straight pull headstock (its really really close) so it almost never goes out of tune, basswood body, string thru bridge (the strat kind, not the tune-o-matic kind), and an h-s-h pickup configuration. It's got a slightly thicker neck than RG's, similar to an SG neck only wider. and its 25.5 scale length. I put 11s on it, and it has a really thick sound (I don't detune). The action is no where near that on an RG but I'm still tweaking it. If I had to classify it I'd say its between an RG and a Strat. However the body shape is close to that of a jaguar.

oh and its covered in duct tape and loads of clear coat, its the toughest finish I've ever seen, and it gets attention, one way or the other.

This guitar isn't better or worse than my SG, I play them both equally now, its definitely a unique guitar and I got some versatility in my set up.

When Fender went to crap back in the 70's I was shopping for a new bass. Ibanez had just cloned the '75 Fender Jazz with the black block inlays on maple neck, neck binding, and a super finish. This, with a badass bridge is sold as the Geddy bass now. It turned out to be much better craftmanship than Fender was doing. I bought it for $179 in '77 and replaced the pickups with two Old Bill Lawrence J pickups. It still has the sweetest tone of any bass I`ve owned.

My all time favorite guitar was my red RG550. That thing would NOT go out of tune, even if I wanted it to. you could yank on the bar all day, and it would hold tune, perfectly. Sorry I ever got rid of it. Recently, I noticed they came out with an RG350 DX, in white, with a white pearloid pickguard, so I played one. Man, I want one!
Not ALL Ibanez are great, though: My RG570 sucked to high heaven! It was the polar opposite of my 550: It wouldn't STAY in tune, and the pickups howled like hell. I also had an RG220B, for a while, but the damned thing played real stiff, and the tremolo springs were real stiff, as well, so I got rid of it.
Hmm.....wonder if I can get a deal on that RG350DX.................

I have an Ibanez tc220 talman....my main guitar! Plays better than my strat or tele, sounds better than both..........also , I got this guitar in its last production year and it has tripled in its worth.............Ibanez rocks!!!!!!

MK-Ultra said:
So, I'm not the only one.

I have one of these, which I bought in April, 1981.

http://img314.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ibnz70st6bg.jpg

I bought an SG Standard in 1998. The fucker never stayed in tune. I got to the point where I hated playing the thing, which is sad, because a few of the best guitars I've ever played were early 60's SGs. Anyways, given that the Ibanez gave me a very decent humbucker sound, stayed in tune, and because I knew this guitar inside out, I decided to sell the SG. Although it was nice to look at, it was useless to me as a recording tool. I don't regret selling it.

Oh: I paid $227.00 CAD for the Ibanez in 1981. It needs a bit of work. The volume knob is loose, and a fret needs attention, but that's about it.

If the best guitars you played where early 60's SGs, then get a vintage SG.. Gibson's quality control now a days is HORRIBLE just like Marshall's.. The older stuff REALLY is better..

You know what those things go for these days? I don't have the money. If I luck out, and find someone who has one stashed in the attic and doesn't know the 'vintage' market, I'll make a fair offer.

I had a chance for one, actually, in 1992. A friend of mine in Toronto had fallen into alcoholism, and didn't play anymore. He was moving to Vancouver, and was willing to sell his '65 SG for $250.00 CAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, I was an impoverished professional student at the time and didn't have a pot to piss in.

This goes under the heading of 'THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY.'

Ain't no fish story, though.

I've noticed that Ibanez has seemed to "tarnish" the whole prestige line of instruments by tossing that term on many of their cheaper guitars. Now, I haven't played too many of the new ones, so maybe they actually do sound good and are made in japan, but I have a feeling it's now become a label and doesn't actually mean anything.

On the other hand, I own an S1520FB prestige, and it blows any other shred style guitar out of the water. Great action, great finish, great bridge (though I hate floyd-types, I can manage), and the most musical pickups I've heard. They will feedback at such low levels it amazes me, and it's the easiest feedback to control. I use musical feedback in many of the songs I play, and to find a guitar that won't scream, just sing, is amazing.

I just realized that my trusty ole RG770 turns 20 years old this September. It is banged to living hell, the frets are worn and it needs new pots but it still plays damn good.

My Ibanez is 32 years old ;) It's a 335 copy, branded Antoria but made in the Hoshino factory, thanks to a lead from Buck62 I found out that's what they branded UK imports in those days. It has the most wonderful neck.

Back