Why have my back to treated wall?

oildrops

This is probably a simple question, but when I am recording vocals why should I have my back toward the treated wall in my studio, and not singing toward the treated wall?

My low budget setup has all the corners treated and one wall has HEAVY blankets layered up on it. I have greatly reduced the reflections when I clap, but there is still a quick sharp reflection. I was reading that my back should be toward the treated wall, but I had assumed I should be facing that wall. I also read that my desk can cause unwanted reflections, but I am basically set up next to my desk so I can adjust things without taking my guitar and headphones off and walking across the room. Should I just try to face away from the desk as much as possible?

Thanks for any help here.

Your microphone (probably) picks up sounds from the general direction of where you are standing/sitting. Sounds bouncing off the wall behind you can travel around your head and hence get picked up by the mic.
And yes, reflections from the desk surface can also get picked up.

This is probably a simple question, but when I am recording vocals why should I have my back toward the treated wall in my studio, and not singing toward the treated wall?

My low budget setup has all the corners treated and one wall has HEAVY blankets layered up on it. I have greatly reduced the reflections when I clap, but there is still a quick sharp reflection. I was reading that my back should be toward the treated wall, but I had assumed I should be facing that wall. I also read that my desk can cause unwanted reflections, but I am basically set up next to my desk so I can adjust things without taking my guitar and headphones off and walking across the room. Should I just try to face away from the desk as much as possible?

Thanks for any help here.

HOW big is the room for fek sake? A guitar lead of 15ft should cause little trouble and a headphone cable of 1/4 mile is quite feasible . Get a wireless keyboard and mouse or 5mtr USB leads.

You need absorbent front AND back of you since a lot of room effect comes back over your shoulder and hit the active side of the mic.

Dave.

I believe (I have been wrong before), the reason you put the treated to your back is because or the pattern of the mike. Cardioid, hyper-cardioid reject the noise coming back from the reflection, but the side behind you will not be rejected. A good condenser will pick up reflections from the untreated wall if it's pointed AT it. Therefore point it toward the untreated. I angle mine toward a corner (where both walls are treated and the bass trapping does it's job.)

Back