Why guitarists get all the fun!!?

And, depending upon how many guitarists there are in your band, bass players are third in line for the chicks as well.. ahead of only the drummer and keyboard player...

That must suck big time...

:D

Sorry, I have nothing to contribute.. I'm just desparately trying to reach 500 posts seeing I've been here forever...

if your not having any fun on bass why not play guitar. it might not be the sound. it could just be that you don't like bass as much as you think. it doesnt matter if bassists are few.

Around these parts bassists also enjoy some sort of respect, a "shaman" -quality, that the skinny guitarists just don't seem to command.:D

Around these parts bassists also enjoy some sort of respect, a "shaman" -quality, that the skinny guitarists just don't seem to command.:D

around here a good bassist or drummer can get into whatever band they want just about. guitarists are a dime a dozen but quality bassists and drummers are more rare.

I use several different effects on bass, and a few of 'em are made for guitar.

my favorite distortion pedal on bass (believe me i've tried most of 'em) is the EHX English Muff'n = screamin' tube overdrive

I use an EHX bass balls on occasion...

an old morley fuzz-wah

and my modded big muff pi (changed the caps at the front end...modeled after the '81 version)

z-vex wooly mammoth when I need that push over the edge!!!!!!

effects have limitations regarding low freq's

I have played guitar, bass, and drums in live projects.

I seem to play guitar like a bass player, and bass like a guitar player.
I'm kind of a baritone, if you will.

I currently play bass in two bands, due to the demand for those who respect the low end.

An Ampeg SVT head (tube or solid state) is the only head that I have not felt the need for extra tone enhancement via effects. I used to play through an SWR head that sounded like crap, unless I used a SansAmp Tube Driver.

Depending on the project I would use fingers or a pick, plus EQ and gain to acheive the desired attack and room filling low end.

I say all this to back up the notion that a Bass, fills the room via low frequencies, and low frequencies get lost when effects are too prevalent.

For recording purposes, any effect pedal (guitar or bass) can create great sounds. Just EQ a guitar pedal/processor to enhance the low end.
(Zoom pedals for guitar work great, as well as my Boss GT3)

You will however, find that Distortion/OD/Fuzz doesn't respond too well to low frequencies. This is why effects are few and far between for bass.

Unfortunately, in a live situation, the bass becomes a wash if too much stuff is countering the low end.

Yes, the bass has its place. Effects can enhance the overall sound, but Distortion is simply not a low end effect.

I say all this to back up the notion that a Bass, fills the room via low frequencies, and low frequencies get lost when effects are too prevalent.

For recording purposes, any effect pedal (guitar or bass) can create great sounds. Just EQ a guitar pedal/processor to enhance the low end.
(Zoom pedals for guitar work great, as well as my Boss GT3)

You will however, find that Distortion/OD/Fuzz doesn't respond too well to low frequencies. This is why effects are few and far between for bass.

Unfortunately, in a live situation, the bass becomes a wash if too much stuff is countering the low end.

Yes, the bass has its place. Effects can enhance the overall sound, but Distortion is simply not a low end effect.

+1. Well put.

Back