Why does my mic sound low

ZedKay

i recentley upgraded from my earphones to a AT2020 but whenever i feel i have to shout to get it to sound alright how do i turn up my mic (and i do not mean by gain or in my DAW) in general. because on multiple apps people stay i sound extremely quiet. All help is appreciated Kind Regards. If this. helps i am also on a MacBook

i recentley upgraded from my earphones to a AT2020 but whenever i feel i have to shout to get it to sound alright how do i turn up my mic (and i do not mean by gain or in my DAW) in general. because on multiple apps people stay i sound extremely quiet. All help is appreciated Kind Regards. If this. helps i am also on a MacBook
You already asked over in this thread, but never replied to the questions/suggestions there.

The first step is definitely checking your gain staging. Regardless of what app or DAW you're using, your audio interface controls the volume of your mic going in to your computer. I'm sure you've done this, but make sure you're giving it enough gain to begin with. By default, the level in any app or DAW will be based on that. So, if you've got your gain turned up on your interface and you're still not getting a solid level, then that would indicate something faulty in your recording chain. (bad mic, bad cable, bad interface, etc.) There is no better answer. You wouldn't want to try to boost a low signal in post, because you'll be boosting a lot of noise along with it. You have to have an adequate, clean signal going in to start. Good luck to you!

Realistically, low gain will either be just one of a few things.
Wrong settings - most likely
Faulty interface - unlikely
Faulty mic - unlikely

What you need is another mic - borrow anything - it can be a dynamic or a condenser, then put it in record and talk into the AT, then swap it for the other mic. If its a dynamic then the volume should drop a little, if its a condenser, nothing much will change. when you look at what you recorded - what happens to the levels. If the swap increases the volume then the mic is probably faulty. If nothing much happens and it's still low, then you need to look at the interface settings.

The AT-2020 has a sensitivity of 14mv/Pa. That;s plenty of gain, for any interface, more than a lot of other condenser mics.

Back