Why do Telecasters have those strange bridges on them?

Mr songwriter

I know you can get covers for the bridge so that it no longer looks as if has had a bit fall off, but does anyone actually play with the cover on? and don't you find that sides of that backplate on the bridge make it more difficult to play the strings around that area?

It doesn't relly change the sound.

It might help shield the bridge pickup from interference.

The only other reason I can think of is that back in the 50's when amps didn't have 3 prong cords (ground), it gave a great spot to rest a wrist on for a more permanent ground.

Really, I hve no idea what I am talking about.

Yes, both of those reasons make sense, I suppose they just carried on making them like that because that was what people expected a Tele to look like, though whenever I've thought about buying one, that's always been one of the things that's put me off.

Outlaws said:
The only other reason I can think of is that back in the 50's when amps didn't have 3 prong cords (ground), it gave a great spot to rest a wrist on for a more permanent ground.

Really, I hve no idea what I am talking about.

yes you do ;)

i have two teles by now. one of them has the vintage bridge, wich i love and see no reason why anyone would think a piece fell off :eek: if you think that, maybe you're not really looking for a tele..the vintage bridge is what i actually look for when im getting a tele...its a great thing to rest your wrist, and i think 98% of the ppl that own teles do that so..you know what you're talking about ;)

They are like that `cause that's the way Leo designed it. They are still ike that because people expect it. Besides, those three saddle Tele's have a very unique sound (even if they are impossible to intonate properly).

I'm pretty sure, though, that the covers were just for looks. It's not like on the P-bass where there was a mute in the cover. Then again, it does keep you from playing directly over the pickup, which is a sound that Leo may not have liked, so maybe that is where he got the idea.

But I think he just wanted the guitar to look more "finished."

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

OK, cheers for the info, I've tried quite a few Teles out, but I really don't think I've ever seen one on display in a shop (here in the UK) that didn't already have the bridge cover removed;and I could only find one Tele on the official Fender site that was depicted with the cover on. I'll have to see if I can have a go with one with the cover in place.

Mr songwriter said:
OK, cheers for the info, I've tried quite a few Teles out, but I really don't think I've ever seen one on display in a shop (here in the UK) that didn't already have the bridge cover removed;and I could only find one Tele on the official Fender site that was depicted with the cover on. I'll have to see if I can have a go with one with the cover in place.

When I bought my '61 Strat, there was a cover for the floating bridge rattling around in the case. I put it on and 25 years later it's still there. I don't know what purpose it serves, but I like the way it looks.

Mr songwriter said:

No, they are rarely used these days, but the bridge was designed with the cover in mind. People are used to that bridge, and when ever Fender trys to change it, people don't buy the things - or at least, fewer people buy them.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Mr songwriter said:

you do know that you can get that cover separately right? ;) dont go for a guitar based on that alone..

Back