Why do my guitars suck?

Personally, I think they sound great. I've been experimenting with a 57 up close and an Oktava MK012 a few feet back, I find it adds a lot of depth to my guitar tracks. Also, I recommend encoding higher:).

Hope I could be of service.

fenix said:
Why do my guitars sound like they're dominating the whole mix? I have eq'd these suckers every way imaginable and they still sound too in-your-face.

Do I need to use a second mic on the guitar amps? A condenser a few feet bacK?

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1410&alid=-1

The 3 Denial songs are the ones I'm talking about.

when you're not satisfied with your guit sound : try another mike/more mikes/diff mike placement/DI/hard-or software reverb or room/diff guitar/diff amp/diff player/pod or v-amp/diff recorder or software or desk or adda/...

...THE SHIT THAT GETS DISCUSSED OVER AND OVER DAY AFTER DAY....

...instead of whining about it...

...most of you guys are hopeless...

...'recording for years' with your 'pro non-behringer gear'...

...and still need advise on how to mike an amp...

...or consent on a 3 Db EQ cut...

...what a waste of time.

fenix said:
Why do my guitars sound like they're dominating the whole mix? I have eq'd these suckers every way imaginable and they still sound too in-your-face.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1410&alid=-1

The 3 Denial songs are the ones I'm talking about.

I think they sound good, just bring their volume down and they might not sound so 'In-Your-Face'. With the guitars down some, the bass guitar should round the tone off well.

when i record guitars i uselly do 2 over dubs, then send one to the right, one to the left. and that opens up the middle for vocals and such. pretty good success as long as the band can play the same thing over.

When I compare the guitars with a commercial recording, they are not occupying the same space. I've never recorded with a condenser a few feet back and I'm wondering if this will make them less in yo face?

LOL ! ! :D Yea, and Engineer Wetteke also advises you to crank the Sonic Maxizer up past 11. :D

Look at it this way . . . while everyone else has trouble with guitar being "not in your face enough," feel lucky that you have the problem you do.

Based on your samples, I'd think the right kind of reverb would back the guitars up a bit and add a sense of distance / space, if that's what you're looking for.

What are you amping with, by the way?

fenix said:

Don't change a thing ! OK if you don't like them , fine. I think they're great.

I myself have been exclusively Close mic'ing so I can have the flexibility to =add distance= at mixing time if necessary.

with "in yor face" being the default. Until I get a good room to do it in, I don't want any "Room" sound. I must control everything - - muwahahahaha.

Don't worry !

Looks like you have "high quality problems " dood

Me thinks you have been mixing and listening to these tunes toooooooo long. Youre trying to fix whats not broke. Give 'em a rest and come back to them in a couple weeks or so. You'll probably hear what we all hear. "They sound good!"

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

Without having listened (I don't listen to MP3's), here are some generalized ideas for any sound which is too "in your face".

1) Panning - Where are they panned. Are they right down the middle, then spread them out. This will go a long way towards removing some of the focus on an instrument.

2) Reverb - Most home recordists under use reverb. By a lot. The trick to using reverb is to make it less noticeable, and to insure that it does not build up. There are a couple of tools which are very important when using EQ. Experiment with different pre-delay settings. This will basically move the source closer or further in the depth axis. Next, when you use a lot of reverb, you tend to get a lot of unwanted bass buildup. This is bad. Instead of using less reverb, put an EQ inline before the reverb unit, and use a heavy high pass filter (low cut filter)If you remove almost everything below 800 Hz, you will relieve yourself of the bass buildup, and you can use a lot more reverb without it being particularly noticeable, which is very useful.

3) Delay - experiment with it. Send a dry signal to one side, and a delayed signal to the other, than experiment with different settings on the delay. Try different oscillators. Experiment, and have fun.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Well, I have some revised versions w/ vocals up on that nowhere site. I used some eq and backed them down. They're more tolerable now. Maybe I should experiment w/ 2 mics on the amp.

My god man. Suck??? I don't know what the hell you're hearing but there isn't any suck going on. Sounds like you got everthing under control.

is this a trick question...

yea the guitars are out front but the tone is good and the kit fits.

I like it...

Last edited:
i like this guitar tone a lot. don't change a thing. the only thing i would do is make them quieter, to bring the vox up. the vox are hard to hear amongst the in-your-face guitar. don't change the tone though, just bring the vox up a bit.

I think the guitars and vox sound very good. It's the drums and bass that should be brought up in the mix. Think of the 4 as equally important, even if you are coming from the direction of a particular instrument. I have played guitar for 20 years and I recognize your talent, but IMO a little more bass player and drummer. Concratulations on some really fine (California punk/pop? - not really sure what you classify your tunes as) music.

Back