Why do I need a boost

utsman

Hey Mixies,

Just need some advice. When I compare my mixdowns to my favourite commercial mix as a comparison(O.K Computer), I always need to Boost around 1400-2500 Hz to make it sound "closer" to the eq of that track. This comparison is done by ear and by frequency analysis. On the chart all other freqencies are comparible. What could I be doing wrong during tracking or mixing to need this consistently.

Info:
Tracks consist of
Guitars (up to 3)
Bass
Vocals (usually2)
Drum machine
Vst instruments here and there.

All recording through Tascam Us122
No eq on input except instrument tone.

LATER

utsman said:
I always need to Boost around 1400-2500 Hz to make it sound "closer" to the eq of that track.
Have you ever considered that it may be because "OK Computer"'s track(s) were EQ'd and mixed that way?

Compare your mix to a variety of other CDs (whether you like them or not). I'll bet you that it will compare differently to each one because each one used different equipment and were mixed to different recipes.

OTOH, if your mix is always dead in the midranges no matter what you compare it to, then you may have a frequency response problem in your monitoring chain, probably either in your speakers, their placement, or the room acoustics.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
OTOH, if your mix is always dead in the midranges no matter what you compare it to, then you may have a frequency response problem in your monitoring chain, probably either in your speakers, their placement, or the room acoustics.

G.

Don't forget the ears........... You may have a problem with that on a physical level.

Back