Why do I like it better?

asi9

You know, one time I recorded a short demo for a song our band was learning. Threw it together, so for the clean guitar tone, I took my crappy guitar, put it on the neck setting, then plugged straight into the mic input on my SoundBlaster Live!. I got a really interesting sound that way. Later on, we recorded the song for real, I decided to go direct through a tube preamp. Didn't like that. Tried micing my amp on clean, didn't like that. Tried nearly every damn Line 6 POD setting, didn't like that. I kept trying to get that sound I originally got.

So, I tried it again. Plugged my guitar straight into the sound card mic preamp. I LOVE the way it sounds! Why do I like the sound?!?

There's probably an impedence-issue that is changing the sound a lot; how would plugging your guitar straight in like that affect the sound? I would like to see if I could replicate this clean sound in a less ghetto way.

Any suggestions?

Well, a good starting point would be to post a clip of the sound so we we can hear what sound you're talking about. Ya know what I mean?

Tried to respond yesterday right when the server seemed to go down.....

Yeah, I'll see if I can dig up a clip.... busy the next few days; just ignore this thread till I get that up so ya'll can hear what I'm talking about....

asi9 said:
I would like to see if I could replicate this clean sound in a less ghetto way.

I would have to say that if thats the way that you get the sound then stick with it, I see no reason in trying to duplicate a sound in another manner that you already know how to get.

Also, a good sound to you is a good sound no matter how it was recorded. I once recorded a guitar solo by placing a cell phone in front of the amp and calling another cell phone which I had mic'd with a $17 radio shack mic, I couldn't get the sound anyother way so off to tape it went like that.

Saunavation Audio productions.

my favourite guitar sound is direct through the porta 03 inputs with the gain turned all the way up.... this is the kind of experimentation that is lacking in modern studio recording... if it sounds good it don't matter if your running through $1000000000000000's worth of equiptment, what ever gets your juices flowing dude :D

Experiment, i got a great sound by putting my crappy little practice amp on 20 and recording it in the bathroom with two mics one closeup and a room mic.

Back