Why do ‘extra’ tracks appear when I record in N-track?

Razor1548

Hello people,

I am very basic at digital audio recording right now, so am hoping I am able to explain my predicament clearly and that I am not missing something obvious. I have not been through all of N-tracks help files as yet, but have searched on all the terms that I think are relevant.

If I start with a blank song, and add a blank audio track, I then select the right or left input from my audio device for recording and then press record. When I stop, another track has been inserted (other than the blank one I placed in manually) and this seems to contain the actual wav file. Sometimes two extra tracks are created instead of one (the one that I was not actually playing into being blank of course).

Related to this is my experience last night, where I selected the option to be asked for a file name when I begin to record. Each time I entered names for two files (left and right I guess – though why I don’t know as I will only have selected one blank audio track to record, with the input I wish to use)., and then was prompted for a further two file names, although the recording was going ahead anyway. If I entered file names then the recording proceeded and completed when I pressed stop, and if I cancelled on the last two file names then the whole thing was abandoned. I have yet to go search my hard drive and see exactly where each file is going (A lot of empty wavs will need to be deleted no doubt). I suppose I need to take time and name all the files in a meaningful way so I can find out what is going on.

I have a few other problems with n-track that I will only briefly mention. I need to investigate properly before I can explain myself and hope for technical advice.

When I start up N track, sometimes it simply does not recognise audio in. Other times it does and I don’t change configuration from one time to another. Sometimes it opens up with a left and right audio track both ready to record, and sometimes it has no tracks and I have to insert a blank one. It’s all rather confusing to me.

In addition, twice now I have saved recording with more than 4 tracks to find that only two of them are present when I open the file again. I was able to re-import the wavs on both occasions, and then save all tracks, but something is clearly wrong.

I have been though demos of Cubase, Cubasis, Cakewalk and Vegas, and now really want to stick with N-track, having paid for the 24 bit version.

Do I just need to go away and spend a good few hours reading the manuals, or could some of my problems be down to minor points of configuration that I am missing?

I have made many successful multi track recordings with n-track, so I can get it to work. I just have an awful amount of empty wavs and undesirable program restarts before I achieve my aims.

Without being at my laptop I don’t have completed details, but here is a basic run down of my setup.

Hewlett Packard laptop with Athlon 2500 processor.
512 Megs of ram (shared as video memory).
40 gig HD (I know that I seriously need a second HD for audio and will soon get one).
Tascam US 224 audio device.
Windows XP home edition.

Any advice is much appreciated. Sorry there is so much above. After learning to use the application over the last couple of weeks, these are the final flaws in using it that I just don’t seem to be able to iron out by myself.

Thanks,

Mark

There is no real need to insert a blank track .... Once you click "record", tracks will be created for the number of inputs you have enabled. Also if when you open n-Track and you find that 2 tracks show up in the time line without you inserting them or doing any recording .... You most likely have the "Live" button on.
You should really spend a little time reading through the manual to have a greater understanding of how to configure n-Track for your needs.
One pointer for you in regard to recording your separate tracks .....
Click the little red button on the record meters ... it will give you options on whether or not to record a track from the particular channel and also where (to track#* or to a new track).
Also, you can set the path for where all of the files go (n-Tracks working directory), by navigating to File/Settings/Preferences (keyboard shortcut Ctrl+P) ... then click the Paths tab. In the section for the working directory you can set a place on the hard drive where everything gets saved. Plus I think it may show the default path of where all those blank files you think you may have.
Hope this helps

-Ken

Thanks people,

I am browsing the fasoft forum now, and will also study the FAQ for related bits of information.

I must admit I do not know where to enable / disable inputs, but now I know what to look for I am sure n-track help will tell me when I get home.

You have cleared up a few things for me already, but aside from that I am prepared for a long night of 'reading up' when I get home.

Cheers

If you don't "arm" the track, n-track will automatically insert a new one. If you look to the left of the track, you will see some buttons, one looks like a speaker, one like an "S" and there is a round one as well. Just click the round one, it will turn red, and then when you record it will record to this track.

Guess I ought to update this to 'close' the story.

Between advice given here and on the fasoft forum N-track is now running smooth as anything for me.

My mains problems were:

1. Some unknown bug that sometimes left ntrack not detecting audio (although sound device signal light was on). This one went away and the only thing that might have influenced was me switcing to WDM drivers, and then back again.

2. I did not understand what the live button did, but under scenario 1 above using the live button was the only way I could get sound in.

3. I didn't know how to select inputs. Thanks to the folks above I now do.

4. The tutorial tells you to record audio in mono. Took me a while to realise that my audio board does not have a mono setting and that I just need to disable one input.

5. After above problems were ironed out I had one evening of awful jumping and crackling with just one track (this was not just in ntrack). Though I am new to audio I am a PC engineer so was able to screw with XP and shut down non-essential services to free up resources etc. Nothing worked. I was ready to throw the laptop out of the window. The next day the problem 'went away' and hasn't been back since. Perhaps all my screwing about with drivers made xp unstable (but why restarts would leave the problem resident I don't know).

Anyway.... it's all good now. Just give me a boost of inspiration and I will be a famous musician / composer by the end of next week. ;)

Cheers people. Without this board and the fasoft one I would have spent much more time looking for a solution that I had to.

Back