Why did you choose your guitar?

gibson SG-I or godin LG can't choose sorry...

great guitars gibson is a real rocker but godin is more versatile.. both have fat mahogany tone and nice neck... love 'm both to death... bought both second hand... when i saw the gibson, i wrapped it up and paid... did not even play it first... definately the coolest rock look ever (1 humbucker, 24 fret gibson (!), all black...)

the godin just plays like a dream... and looks cool since i play metal and NOONE i know plays metal with a jazz look guitar...

guhlenn

Ibanez ATK 305 (5string bass)

Because it's big and ugly, just like its owner.

And it is a fine and versatile (3eq) instrument. It has been my only fretted bass for the last 5 years and I'm not thinking of buying anything else yet and my large hands fit wonderfully around the thick neck.
When I bought it I wanted a 5string (played solely 4 before) so that I would be able to play certain songs.

Blonde Guild JF-30 Jumbo Acoustic

I had wanted a Gibson J-200 since I could remember. I must have played 30 of them, and they all sounded like crap. I happened to be in Tulsa, visiting my inlaws and stopped in a guitar store there, played the Guild on a lark and fell in love with it immediately. It has that bright, maple tone I love, needed no setup out of the box and has some feally nice flame on the neck, back and sides. I will never, ever sell this guitar.

For electric guitar, what ended up as my favorite didn't start out to be. I discovered when I was playing out three to four nights a week, four hours a night that my '72 Tele was the best behaved of the guitars I gigged with. By that I mean it stayed in tune all night, had the least amount of string breakage and the intonation was perfect on it. I'm telling you I could use it to swing my way out of a bar fight with it, wipe the blood off of it, pluug it in and play and it would still be in tune. What a beast.

I also have two acoustics I use alot,

Yamaha, APX nylon. 2001

Gibson, J-30. 1982.

Both play very well, sound excellent but are so different.

Hard call... my first guitar seems to be a real go to unit after all these years. I picked it pretty much because it played far better than I did. No laughing, its an "Atlas" acoustic 12 string. I think it helped that I played 10-20 super lame student starter guitars all that day befor I touched this one. I have "better" guitars with no doubt, but still I go back.

IBANEZ

I got my first when i was 15 ,now im on my 5 th one. For me ibanez makes a great metal guitar. The wizard neck rules!

the best fingers in the world playing on a crappy guitar is like the best singer in the world singing on a crappy mic.

i selected my 2000 fender american strat with maple fingerboard because i had owned a steinberger, les paul, epiphone (strat body style), and a rosewood fingerboard american strat and liked the fender's tone and playability better than all of those.

however, i have always loved the way my stein fits... that paddle oar body is just right for playing live.

2 years ago i did a show with The Itals at the Rock Island reggae festival and the bass player and I both had steins. it is so easy to move around on stage with a stein.

Telecaster clone.

Because that's the only guitar that made me stop craving for other guitars ... except other telecasters. No other feels like a guitar after playing one. That's the curse of the telecaster.

Well first of all, I don't get to have 1 "main" guitar, because I play electric and acoustic. I bought the SG Supreme because I like Gibson necks, and the weight is a lot less than a Les Paul, easier on my back if I have to stand up for several hours. I wasn't really fond of the classic 57 humbuckers and changed them out for Seymour Duncans with taps, so I can get double coil, single coil, or hybrid strat sound. Actually, I can make it sound almost exactly like a telecaster, but with the Gibson neck I prefer. No special love there, it's just an axe.
The acoustic was different. I had always had my heart set on a hummingbird, and I finally had the bucks for it. I felt an obligation, though, before laying down that kind of money, to play a shitload of acoustics. I knew I was looking for a dreadnought, not a jumbo (short arms- jumbo uncomfortable to me). So I played that hummingbird, and sure enough, it was a beautiful guitar, but I put it back on the wall and started playing others. Top of the line Ovation- plastic guitar, not. Tried the Martins- great guitars, but not for me. My short stubby fingers just don't work on that neck. Then I picked up a Taylor 700CE, hit the first harmonic across the entire 12th fret, and listened to it ring for 47 seconds by stopwatch! Checked intonation, and it was not good, not excellent, but PERFECT in every position! Then I checked playability- like greased lightning. Finally, I gave it the last test. I put it back on the wall, walked across the room and picked up that Hummingbird. It actually sounded thin after the Taylor! SOLD!-Richie

I required a LP standard for a long time. Tone, feel, looks, everything. I saw mine and knew it was the one. It was used and cheap and dirty, but I knew it would be great. Shortly after I bought it, I sold my LP junior and my Strat. Now I only have the standard, and I have never looked back. Just gotta fall in love with it.

Matty

Believe it or not, my favourite guitar is a 3-quarter size 1985 Sattellite (a very small korean make) that I bought for £50 as my first electric. It had one crappy humbucker on the bridge and a dirty white paint job, so I stripped it down, re-painted it electric blue(I did it properly though, not like some of the shit jobs you see people doing) and changed the pickup to a Seymour Duncan, whilst adding another Seymour Duncan at the neck. I re-wired the electronics, polished her up and did the usual refretting and setting-up.
Being only 3-quarter size means you can stretch between frets real easy, and it also plays real well for Ska and Punk, which is great for me.
I've also used Her for Blues and, would you believe it, Swing. I had some guy offer me £600 for it, but you kinda get attached to something you put that much love into.
It may now be the loveliest guitar to look at and play on the big island I live in, but I can still remember what it was like as a cheap, dirty sattellite guitar.

Why did I get my guitars?

Well...

My main 'leccy is a Mid '80s Yamaha SG1300T - red sparkle finish, ebony f/board - I had a Guild SF4 semi, which was lovely and then one day, just browsing in our local guitar shop, I picked up the Yam. The next day, I took the Guild to the shop, sold it (for more than the Yamaha was priced at) and took the Yam home, where it's been ever since. I've never played a guitar with an action like it. It's just incredible. I've also done A/B tests with a mate's Les Paul through a Fender Twin, and the two guitars sounded identical. The only problem has been the trem, which is a clunky double-locking monstrosity of a thing. I just blocked it off with a lump of mahogany, and teh guitar's been stable ever since.

My main bass is a '73 Ricky 4001. I bought it 'cos it cost me £100. It's battered and beautiful. Every note on the neck is even - no dead spots. Simply perfect. I don't gig it any more, though - I bought a Mexi Precision for £200 which is my gigging bass.

My acoustic is a Takamine EG520S. I just wanted a big, non-cutaway jumbo. It's no Taylor, but it records well, plays well and sounds really acoustic through a PA. A good, solid all-rounder.

Then there's my "luxury" guitar - my Ricky 330-12. Don't use it often, but I've wanted one ever since I was a kid and six years ago my wife bought it for me. What can I say? It's my dream guitar.

I am an Ernie Ball advocate. I have two Sillhouettes and a Sterling Bass. I've played tons of electrics, and to me they are absolutely the most comfy guitars made. The body a sculpted perfectly, the rounded heel is a Godsend. The craftsmanship is topnotch and very consistant, the latter being a trait hard to find in many other American guitar manufacturers whose names start with "F". The Silhouette is a perfect refinement of the Strat in every way.

My acoustic of choice is a Taylor 514C. I chose it because it was the best x14 I could afford, and because Taylor is bar none the best guitar company around in terms of customer support and service. They are a model for what every company should be.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

I was walking around Guitar Center one day back in 1996, looking for something to replace my beat-up old Squier. I figured I needed a Strat with lace pickups, since David Gilmour played a Strat with lace pickups. But the prices!

My friend the KISS fan was with me, and he kept going on about Ibanez because of his prized Iceman. Yeah whatever, I told him. That's a metalhead guitar. But lo & behold, I spot a low-end Ibanez plugged into the effects display at the store. What the hell, I tried it. I was surprised by its great neck & tone, but I hated the body style.

So I ventured over to the Ibanez section (something I had never done before), and there I heard a voice..."Sir_Matthewwwww...." it said, and I whirled around to see a purple woodgrain Ibanez S Series with gold hardware. Humbuckers on the neck & bridge, single coil in the middle. Thin as a school cafeteria burger, & practically leaping off the shelf into my hands.

Never looked back. Although, if a nice Ricky happened along...

Parker Nitefly (when I can afford it I'll upgrade to the Fly :) )

Great tone and tone flexibility. Quality construction and materials. Great value.

Back