Why did my headphones blow?

scotter140

I got some very expensive Blue MoFi headphones with a bultin amplifier... I tried using the amp and not using the amp.. Guitar, bass, midi piano... Why would such expensive headphones blow? I'm running through a Steinberg UR22.

Don't really understand the question, but headphones usually blow because they are tooo loud or there is way too much bass.

Alan.

$350 for headphones with a 1/4 watt amplifier in them? Really?

I hope the headphones were still under warranty.

Very expensive headphones if they can be destroyed by plugging into the headphones socket on a UR22 - not noted for it's output level! What exactly happened, and I assume they now don't work on any audio device?

Very expensive headphones if they can be destroyed by plugging into the headphones socket on a UR22 - not noted for it's output level! What exactly happened, and I assume they now don't work on any audio device?

+1 Rob! The specc' for the UR22 gives just SIX mW for cans output! That is not even half a volt into the 40Ohms Z quoted. I suspect that is a typo? Surely someone would have mentioned such a poor signal delivery by now?

The Blue's specc; of 240mW might seem low but it does equate to some 3 V of drive into the specified 42Ohm drivers and the general sensitivity of cans is around 100dB per volt so 3V should easily be very loud indeed.

But yes OP, they should not have failed. Headphones are electrically fairly rugged devices as a rule and even cheap ones rarely go wrong. Problems are usually being sat/trod on, irrepairable cable or nicked!

Get onto Blue and give 'em hell.

Dave.

I'm thinking they would have to be turned up pretty dang high to blow up. mine were 50 some dollars and they havn't blown up. hopefully that came with a recipt.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

They still work but with some cracking/popping.

I think where I went wrong is that I bought the headphones at BestBuy. BestBuy is all about selling the latest and greatest tech, not the reliable thing thats worked the same way for 50 years and doesn't need to be improved because its perfect.

I think I'll get my money back and get something simple at GuitarCenter.

Never, Ever buy expensive things from discount stores, unless you already know the product is good. I note the best reviews for these headphones don't come from musicians, recoding studios, video businesses, but from users who while best intentioned, really have never tried the ones regular and experienced what quality is.

I exclude the ultra hi-fi people from this discussion, because for them, coloured sound can often be the preferred option. In recording, we tend to prefer something flatter, that doesn't flatter certain sources, and reveals as close to the truth as is possible. Oh yes, and doesn't need power!

The cracking/popping could be many things, but I would quickly suspect a bad cap in the amp circuit...try returning/trading the unit and see what happens. Best Buy is usually good about returns.
If you can return them, try finding some Senny Pro 280/380s or something similar. For 1/2 the price, you'll get a flatter representation of your sound.

Back