Why can't Sonar open this .mid file?

tombuur

Yeah okay, I do some karaoke when partying with friends and my students. Sometimes gives me useful insight into music I wouldn't otherwise listen to. And I usually get to add some live guitar to all of it when they perform.

So next week I am doing "Star for a Night" with my students and one of them wants to sing this one: Britney Spears - Oops! I Did It Again. The file with midi karaoke lyrics is here:

http://www.midiplayer1.20m.com/midi_files.htm

It is the one with + vocals, I need to modify somewhat.

However, Sonar refuses to open this file, even though it has .mid extension. The file plays okay with karaoke programs and Windows Media Player. What's wrong? Tried with Sonar on two different computers.

Are you using Sonar 3 with the 3.1 update? I think I read yesterday on their list of fixes for the update that Sonar will now play karaoke files. Of course, I also have no clue what I'm ever talking about. Maybe previous versions would open these, and something was wrong with Sonar 3 initially.

No, I am using 3.01 or something. Couldn't find 3.1 update patch when looking recently. Anyway I decided not to upgrade to 3.1 before this event next week is over. But the file has .mid extension, so it should not be a problem.

Still I hope it is true that 3.1 will reae .kar files. Even though my two karaoke players both accept .mid files and still display the text, so the issue isn't extremely important any more.

The following enhancements have been introduced in SONAR 3.1:
blahbahblahblahblahblah, then....
• Support for KAR (karaoke) files
blahblahblahblahblah....

There's that, but I don't know why it won't read a regular midi file. I don't generally import them myself, but it brings this to mind something I noticed about a week ago. I tried to import a midi file that I made MYSELF from within Sonar, and exported it to it's own midi file on my hard drive so I'd have my piano track notes no matter what happened. I was not able to open the file either.

Did you import? Or open? I don't know if you can import mid files or not. I can't remember which I tried. Now, I'm going to have to figure this out. Thanks, just when I thought it was safe to stop thinking for a day.

I wonder if this is a bug. I've not tried it in any other version of Sonar. Did you choose it as one of the associated file types? Maybe that needs to be done. To be honest, I don't think I did that on my installation, I just clicked okay for the defaults, which I don't think included midi. I think it included only cakewalk files.

So, actually, I've experienced the same problem.

What do you dudes know about this?

Ah, hell, I don't know. I can't even figure out how I saved/exported the last midi file I was talking about. Sorry! I need to hit the sack for the rest of the week.

-Kirstin

Yeah, I am tired too. Anyway, I tried both. Neither import nor open works on the above mentioned file.

I did notice that there are several midi types that you can save something as. If the file you're trying to open isn't one of those four, maybe that would be the problem--they all end in mid. I am pretty sure.

Well, good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Karaoke with the students. Hee hee. How old are they? Do they think it's fun?

They are about 25. Medical students. I am 53, kidney doctor and associate professor. Did the same thing last semester, even though you can't read the Danish text the pictures tell most of the story: www.insomnia.suite.dk

hey,

Would it help if I opened it in Reason, saved it as a midi file, then re-opened it in sonar and saved it. Because I did that, and it will now open in Sonar for you. I have it sitting here on my computer if you would like me to send it to you.

I saved it as a midi format 1. If you want it, and want it as something else, let me know. I didn't know if you could re-save something in Media Player or whatnot. In any rate, I've got it saved so that all the tracks WILL show up in Sonar.

Just reply if you want it, and I'll email it to you or something!
-Kirstin

Looks kinda crazy fun. Med students blowing off steam.

Anyway, tombuur, I'm out of work now. I'll be home in half an hour or so, and if you check your pm, I left my email address so that you can email me. As I have noticed that once I get home, I can no longer seem to post on this particular site...I can only say it has to be my router/firewall/modem stuff...I have a pretty weird setup, maybe. But other websites are no problem for me.

In any rate, I've got yer midi file that you can now open, so I'll email it to you if you need it...ciao!!!!

_Kirstin

Back