Why can't I track/monitor in stereo!?!?

dave.m.stewart

I'm trying to do some tracking with my band using a PC, Tascam US-122 interface and a mic. If I mic a cab and run that line into the US-122 with the channels's switch set to mic as opposed to guitar in regards to impedance and stereo selected in Sonar SE 4 for my track (input US-122, output US-122) then enable record I ought to be able to monitor the track in stereo when recording or during playback, no?

My problem is obviously that I in fact can not track/monitor in stereo. Why the hell not is my question. I'm quite frustrated and I'm losing valuable time to record this project. The band's splitting for college and we need to track this record! Please help!!

There's a switch on the US122 that can be set to mono. That will allow the signal to be the same on both channels.

The guitar track will be a mono track in your software, and that's as it should be. Make sure you set the software to capture off the correct US122 input. I know how to do that in Cubase, but not Sonar.

Hope this helps.

What apl said. If you are only using one input, that's mono (=one source), and you should have mono selected on the US-122 and a mono track to record on in Sonar. Using the mono switch on the 122 will send the signal equally to both the left and right outputs/headphones for monitoring.

good call - but i already tried that. i also tried splitting the line into both inputs with a Y cable just to try things that way. i'll go through it again, but unless i'm really absent minded it's something less obvious than that. i trust that it isn't cause i had the fellow who does some engineering for my band come by and mess with the issue too and i believe he tried all those same things as well. any more ideas??

dave.m.stewart said:
good call - but i already tried that. i also tried splitting the line into both inputs with a Y cable just to try things that way. i'll go through it again, but unless i'm really absent minded it's something less obvious than that. i trust that it isn't cause i had the fellow who does some engineering for my band come by and mess with the issue too and i believe he tried all those same things as well. any more ideas??

Nope, that's the answer. You might want to go through a little more detail about how you have everything connected if you're still having problems. Again, f you are only using one input on the US-122 (Left, for example), then you need to have the Mono switch in the "On" position AND you need to be recording onto a Mono track in your software (from the Left channel input). Also, have Direct Monitoring "On" (with the Direct Monitoring volume turned up) and your monitors/headphones connected directly to the back of the US-122 (with the line-out and/or headphone volume turned up). What you are currently tracking will appear equally in both speakers/headphones and stuff that is already recorded will be monitored however you have it panned in the software.

If you are using both inputs on the US-122 (Left and Right), you can choose to monitor those sources in mono or stereo. In the software, you can choose to send the channels to a single stereo track or to two separate mono tracks (one from the left and one from the right).

nope - not the answer... it was a real bullshit answer actually

turns out upon swapping out all the cables involved i failed to swap out all the adapters involved. there was a bad 1/8 to 1/4 adapter being used on the phones that created an illusion of this problem. in reality it didn't exist. just seemed like it did cause in my phones i was only getting a signal in the left side thanks to this bad adapter. problem solved...finally. thanks for the input. time to be more thorough in the future i suppose before i waste people's time. who'd have thought though?

dave.m.stewart said:
turns out upon swapping out all the cables involved i failed to swap out all the adapters involved. there was a bad 1/8 to 1/4 adapter being used on the phones that created an illusion of this problem. in reality it didn't exist. just seemed like it did cause in my phones i was only getting a signal in the left side thanks to this bad adapter. problem solved...finally. thanks for the input. time to be more thorough in the future i suppose before i waste people's time. who'd have thought though?

Thanks for letting us know!

Back