Why can't I get enough volume from my microphone?

Picqwik

I've dusted off the old Tascam porta 2 four track and started recording again after many years. Great fun.

I went out and bought a shure PG-57 mike to record some acoustic guitar and, right away, a problem ... I can't get enough volume without without cranking the volume and gain way up, and of course, then I get all kind of unwanted noise. I've tried a different mike and it's the same ... Not enough volume!

I don't recall this problem years ago, but then I may not have used a mike. I always use DI with an electric guitar.

So my question ... Why can't I get any volume? Do I need some sort of a pre-amp?

Can you be less cryptic with the "not enough volume"? What level are you getting on your meters?

Barely audible ... The meter needles hardly move at all.

And incidentally, I had originally intended to post this in the 'newbie' forum. Sorry, I don't know how I got to this forum!

No problem posting it here, I'm pretty sure.

OK, well there is a problem if the meters are barely moving on an analogue machine. I'm not familiar with the Porta 2. Are there other inputs you can try the mic(s) on? Or is there just one input that you assign wherever you want? If there are other inputs, then iliminate the obvious first. Try another input. Then, try another mic cable.

I wish I could be of more help. Hopefully, someone with the same machine as you might be able to help you. Post this in the TASCAM forum, too. More chance of running into someone that has th Porta 2.

I have a Porta 01, not that that is going to help you. It is a case of process of elimination: finding out which bit of equipment is not doing its job very well. To do this you would use an alternative. If you don't have another of the same thing then get creative, such as use an electric guitar if you don't have another mic and/or mic lead. As your Porta 02 hasn't been used in some time I wonder whether the tape has aged, the tape heads need cleaning or degaussing.

Thanks, Rami ... No, I tried a second mike and a second cable. Same result. The four inputs are labeled line/mic so they're obviously dual purpose. Same result on all four tracks.

Yes, I'm hoping someone with a Tascam Porta-2 will be able to help me out.

Is there a three prong XLR type mic connector anywhere on the tascam? A quick search shows only 1/4" jacks, but maybe I am not seeing the same model that you have. With a Shure 58, you're going to have to crank the input gain all the way up, especially if you are using a 1/4 plug.

The correct fix would be to purchase a separate mic pre and plug your mic into that then the pre into the tascam. I used to have an old Tascam portastudio eons ago and never understood why they didn't put XLR connectors and true mic pres in them.

The four inputs are labeled line/mic so they're obviously dual purpose.

But don't you need to hit a switch to make it either Line or Mic?
If the input is set to line...but you plug in a mic...the level will be very low.

No, Capriccio, it's got nothing to do with the tape or the heads. I can monitor the input level thru headphones without even putting the machine in operation. The volume isn't there before I even roll the tape. I'm convinced there's nothing wrong with the machine ... It's my lack of knowledge that's the problem.

Chili ... Yes, it's a 1/4" input jack. The mike cable has an XLR connector. I had to buy an adaptor from Radio Shack. You suggest a pre amp ... Now we're getting somewhere. Since I have no idea what that looks like or what it might cost, help me out here ... Where do I start ...

And Miroslav ... No, there's no switch ... I wish it were that simple.

Chili ... Yes, it's a 1/4" input jack. The mike cable has an XLR connector. I had to buy an adaptor from Radio Shack. You suggest a pre amp ... Now we're getting somewhere. Since I have no idea what that looks like or what it might cost, help me out here ... Where do I start ...

And Miroslav ... No, there's no switch ... I wish it were that simple.
Chili beat me to it. A quick look at 02 images showed no XLR so you'll need a pre-amp of some kind. If you have a mixer of ANY kind or size you could plug the mic into the mixer and the mixer into the 02. That'd be one way to have a pre-amp.
Or you could just buy a pre-amp. You can get new ones as cheap as around 30 bucks so even cheaper on Ebay.
an example : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/art-tube-mp-studio-mic-preamp/180581000000000

Maybe a impedance adapter might do it but you might still have low levels so I'd go the pre-amp route.

If your Radio Shack adaptor is of the kind that connects only two pins from the XLR to the two pins on the 1/4" plug, then you're losing half your signal right there. There are other adaptors that use transformers to go from 3 pin to 2 pin and that would maintian the same signal strength.

However, I am a firm believer that computer-based recording is far better than any standalone, all in one, multi-track recorder. Instead of recommending a mic pre, I recommend an audio interface with built in mic pre's.

Since you are using a porta studio, I'm assuming you are doing the one man band thing; recording yourself with guitar and vocals or something similar. In most cases, a two channel interface is sufficient for one man band stuff. About the only time you need more than two channels is if you're recording an acoustic drum set where a minimum of 4 mics does well.

If you want to stay portable, you can use USB powered interfaces...

Here's a list to browse through:

USB Audio Interfaces | Sweetwater.com

If you decide to stay with the Portastudio, then something like Lt Bob linked should work well for ya.

hth,

Thanks Bob and Chili ... You've given me exactly the info I was hoping for.

Yeah, I'm a one man band alright, and very old school. To me, the Porta Studio is still state of the art. I know it isn't, of course, but I'm too old to start learning computer based recording. (I used to make sound-on-sound recordings with two mono tape recorders forty-five years ago ... never did understand the technology but used to get incredible results)

I'm gonna order one of Lt. Bob's little pre amp thingys. I checked it out and it looks like it will do the trick.

Thanks, guys ...

Last edited:
If your Radio Shack adaptor is of the kind that connects only two pins from the XLR to the two pins on the 1/4" plug, then you're losing half your signal right there. There are other adaptors that use transformers to go from 3 pin to 2 pin and that would maintian the same signal strength.

+1

I'm thinking impedance mismatch. But if you're already getting a pre-amp, then never mind.

I just want to take few minutes to wrap this topic up ... As I said in a previous post, I intended to order the pre-amp suggested by Lt. Bob. Well, I did, and it arrived today.

What a pleasant surprise ... So used to getting crap when ordering something that you're not familiar with, I can't get over what a quality piece of gear this is! If I didn't
Know what it cost ($29.95 incl. shipping) I would have guessed it be about a hundred bucks. I'm not exaggerating, this item is terrific!

And of course, the most important thing is ... It does exactly what I had hoped it would. It's quite a complicated with several combinations of different settings and I haven't sorted them all out yet, but I could see right away that it really boosted the signal from the mike. It also (because it's tube) adds some warmth to the tone of the guitar. (I didn't know my old Martin sounded that good). I ran an electric guitar through it, too and it sounded just great. Again, adding warmth to the tone.

So, to finish this up, if there are any other readers who have the same question I had,
Get yourself one of these Tube MP Studio microphone preamps from ART (Applied
Research Technology) in Rochester, NY.

And thanks again, Lt. Bob and all the other readers who took the time to help me out.

Dave

I had a Portastudio 02 - 1/4 jacks only same as mentioned. We recorded lots of tapes with SM58 to an 1/4inch adapater (no pre) and guitar and bass DI and never had any volume problems. I don't know why the problem by the OP but I'm glad it all worked out.

Back