why buy expensive dual channel compressor plugins??

banjo71

Why would someone buy a dual channel compressor plugin, when you can buss two channels into L and R auxillary channels and use a compressor on each of them, and then bus that into the master? I notice building the mixer is fascinating in Pro Tools, at least. You can build about anything. I'm experimenting with two slightly different eq's on the L and R. It sounds really good.

I don't know about expensive, but using one stereo compressor rather than two mono ones is important to maintain stereo image.

Are there mono only' compressor plugs -with 'stereo versions that cost more? I've only seen plugs that do either- an exception I can think of would be the specifically mono vers of the UADs- and those are for lightening CPU usage.

Why would someone buy a dual channel compressor plugin, when you can buss two channels into L and R auxillary channels and use a compressor on each of them, and then bus that into the master? I notice building the mixer is fascinating in Pro Tools, at least. You can build about anything. I'm experimenting with two slightly different eq's on the L and R. It sounds really good.

do you think the beatles recordings would have been better if they had compressor plugins instead of hardware?

just sayin'

Stereo Link.

Also, if you're doing this on a Buss (with multiple tracks panned out feeding it) then why Eq in dual mono on the buss? Why not EQ each channel for the same effect, then compress on the buss with a stereo link on the compressor (or better yet, an adjustable stereo link)? You'll get a bit more controll and more replicable effects.

I go unlinked frequently (actually far more often than linked).

THAT SAID -- Are there actually mono plugs out there that are less expensive than stereo plugs?

Heck - Even UAD's Pultec, LA2A (etc.) are *stereo* versions of *mono* hardware. I think most of my Waves plugs (there are only several) have both stereo and mono versions...

Back