Why are there so few posts in this category?

Gundry

Hi Everybody!
I am starting a new studio/educational business. I just got fed up with PC and switched to a MacBook Pro, iPad 64, iPhone. I own a Mackie 1640I (16 channel FireWire interface), some mikes, and built a never used PC with 16 gig, 1 ter, I5 core. This PC is stripped of all programs except Windows 7 and was built for recording only.
I am in the middle of a "high end" studio build. Framing and lots of other building in progress or finished. Two "studios". One is 28' x 17' with full soundproofing design. The other is 10'6" x 9'6" and will be fully connected by wiring. Both will be acoustically treated.
So back to my original question. I can be set up for both Logic and Pro Tools. For the Pro Tools I see myself hiring a engineer. But for the majority of my recording I am looking to use Logic. But with so few posts here and the ones that exist are so old I am wondering about the practicality or popularity or even usefulness of Logic 9. Is this a dying software/hardware recording method?
So let me have it with both barrels. No holds barred! Kick me! Beat me for my ignorance! I know this is a "Home Recording Forum". So forget the build and focus on the computer stuff.
Thank you all!

The reason why nobody posts here is because Logic never has problems! :) Haha, just kidding. Logic really is a great piece of software though and I'm sure you'll find plenty of users who use it here, myself being one of them. Logic 9 certainly isn't a dying method of recording. I'd say it's right up there with Pro Tools as far as functionality and support go. I've used Logic Express 9 for a year now and have not had any circumstances where I felt limited by the software. The software is much deeper than it seems at a first glance, and while it has the few usual bugs every piece of software seems to have, every part of the software is very intuitive and there is always a fix for any problems you run into. I'd go ahead and buy it with confidence!

I'm normally a protools guy, but lately I've been using logic more and more. It is a much simpler interface, and doesn't crash nearly as much. The problem with logic lies in the fact that protools is an industry standard. When you send a slave session to another engineer for overdubs you can just open the session. Also, a lot of engineers like to import project data, and I don't think it is possible to open logic data in protools yet. (Never tried it to be honest with you)

This Home Recording Logic forum doesn't get very active, so I look else where for Logic information. There's plenty of others sites for Logic information, like the apple site that has some quick responders. And there's a few logic certified training sites that get alot of action too.

I use Home Recording forums for good all-round information on recording techniques, mics, and equipment review. When my question is about Logic, I search elsewhere.

Logic is definitely not dying off, it's just not active on these forums. I've tried to get some stuff going in the past but the action is elsewhere.

Logic is definitely not going anywhere and although it may not be the "anointed one" at present when it comes to professionally employed DAWs, it is well
understood by most in the industry that it has its advantages over Pro Tools.

Which is better for you depends on which makes you feel more comfortable and, by extension, work more efficiently. This will depend on both on your preferences and style of production workflow. Of course as you've suggested, you may find it more practical to just have both.

The general concencus amongst those who should know is that Pro Tools is supreme for tracking and Logic is unsurpassed for crafting music.

Lending credence to this view is Logic's "The Environment," which uses object-oriented patching to make connections between stuff like appregiators and chord memorizers in much the same way a vintage synth relies on path chords to connect oscillators to fillers and so on. Simply put, it gives you more sound creation flex' than its biggest perceived rival.

If you want more software instrument and DSP effect bang for your buck, this will cause you to lean towards Logic, which is considered a more complete straight outta' the box package.

Being 64-bit (Pro Tools is 32-bit friendly, last time I checked) optimized, Logic also offers better performance, more plugins per track and more tracks per project, all recorded at higher bit-depth, meaning better quality.

Logic can't, however, hang with Pro Tools when it comes to a feature like video editing.

If you're going to be doing a lot of MIDI recording and editing Logic is well ahead of Pro Tools with its feature-set for this (Pro Tools 8 did make up some ground in this respect though). When it comes to recording and editing in general though Pro Tools would not be totally out of its mind if it said, "can't touch this" and did a little dance around Logic.

One last consideration to make before you decide how you want these programs to be a part of your regular recording duties: Logic supports 3rd party audio interfaces and Pro Tools instead forces you to buy its creators propriety audio interface, which'll cost you tens of thousands of dollars if you want supreme quality.

As far as places to get assistance with Logic, here are two busy ones are logicprohelp and logic-users-group. Lots of info and help on gearslutz too.

This forum is a great place for everything else.

Best wishes.

Thank You all for posting wonderful replies.

"Logic can't, however, hang with Pro Tools when it comes to a feature like video editing."

This statement is curious. I would have assumed that Logic, being Mac based would have a better video compatability, due to Apples all around aproach with software. I mean that Pro Tools and Avid are strictly a recording company.

"If you want more software instrument and DSP effect bang for your buck, this will cause you to lean towards Logic, which is considered a more complete straight outta'
the box package."

Yes the higher amount of included software is definitely a plus in my eyes but then I see the huge market of add on's for Pro Tools and wonder about second party supremacy in that realm.

I thought I saw a statement about latency issues with Pro Tools better than Logic. Any experience on that end?

And I need to look to see if Logic is, or soon to be 64 bit. That is a problem in my, well......, ignorant status. And yes the interchange of material between parties is a true problem. I wish these 2 programs, and many more, will find developers to translate data from the Mac world to PC. The best of both.

So thanks again and keep em coming. My mind is a open bucket for knowledge with only one drop of water present and looking for a stream to fill it.

Welcome to The Gundry Guitar Institute

I believe the latest version of Pro Tools will open Logic files. PT was bought by Avid, and it can now be used with any core audio interface, too.

Back