Why are most cassette decks calibrated with TDK tape?

The TDK sales reps probably took the cassette manufacturers to dinner more often!

That's my first assumption.

My second assumption has to do with a Japan-first mentality, and it goes like this: Cassette deck manufacturers are all Japanese companies, and TDK is a Japanese company, but Maxell's apparently made in the USA.

That's just an assumption, and I'm not trying to stir up a political argument, or anything. Really, I'm not.;)

Maxell is also a Japanese company.

But Maxell like TDK have production plants all over the world.I have a bunch of maxell XLII-S tapes that were made in england,but the actual tape inside them was made in Japan.And i have some Maxell Pro MS Studio tapes that were made in Mexico of all places..Go figure..PEACE.....

Is that so? Oh well, another good theory bites the dust!

So I'm back to "the TDK reps took the cassette reps to dinner more often".

Maybe,... just maybe,... Maybe TDK was somehow considered to be the bias standard because it's somehow a better tape?

Yeah right, go figure.;)

Your probably right...Read on..

TDK probably greased more palms than Maxell..personally i like Maxell tapes (XLII-S is my favorite)there built better more rugged and i think they have a warmer more natural sound than TDK SA-X.SA-X is to bright sounding to me,but some folks like that.The new sa-x's look cheap to me.To bad maxell discontinued the XLII-S,but i bought up a bulk load of them(About 180 of them)from Terrapin tapes for $1.25 each so i will be set for awhile.PEACE..

Back