Why am I getting drop out?!?!

Johnalex

Ok I am running Sonar 3.0 Studio and Reason 2.5 rewired

I have run all of this fine before but with Sonar 2.2. When ever I get too much going on at once I get a dropout, which sucks.

It shows warnign levels in the CPU...what is my problem?

I have a AMD 1800+ (1.8 GHz)
256 MB DDR PC 2100
Soltek Motherboard
Audiphile 24/96

I think I need more RAM..what about you?

thanks
John B

edit:...I meant to say, I run a lot effects in both Sonar and Reason.... A LOT.

Johnalex said:
Ok I am running Sonar 3.0 Studio and Reason 2.5 rewired

I have run all of this fine before but with Sonar 2.2. When ever I get too much going on at once I get a dropout, which sucks.

It shows warnign levels in the CPU...what is my problem?

I have a AMD 1800+ (1.8 GHz)
256 MB DDR PC 2100
Soltek Motherboard
Audiphile 24/96

I think I need more RAM..what about you?

thanks
John B

edit:...I meant to say, I run a lot effects in both Sonar and Reason.... A LOT.

Sounds like it might have to do with RAM. Sonar 3 PE minimum requirements are 128MB RAM, however recommends 512. If the CPU is peaking, also make sure that you don't have any background processes running, such as Anti-virus...

Couple of thoughts,

Porter

2 more thoughts,

If you are running WDM drivers, re-run Wave Profiler.

Also, try increasing your Latency and see how you go.

Porter

What are your I/O buffers set to in OPTIONS-AUDIO.

The default of 64 is a joke on my PC. Try 128, 256, 512 or 1024. Set at 64 my CPU usage sits on 14% with a blank track. Turning it up to 1024 gives me 3%.

Try making a backup of your AUD.INI, deleting it and letting Sonar re-create it.

Also, are you running 3.0 or 3.1 or 3.1.1?

Q.

Johnalex said:
It shows warnign levels in the CPU...what is my problem?edit:...I meant to say, I run a lot effects in both Sonar and Reason.... A LOT.
There you go! Running alot of effects in Sonar and Reason will eventually bring your computer to it's knees. Remember that you are running two programs side by side, and both programs can be pretty CPU intensive...

You might want to do a little bouncing of tracks, and disable some synths/effects.

And as Porter said: Increasing latency will help in most cases (if it's low to begin with, of course).

Back