Votes: 276 41.5%
  • Alto

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Phonic

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Nady

Votes: 23 3.5%

• Total voters
I own Phonic Peavey and Carvin equipment and it is all good equipment.

EDIT: I also own some Behringer stuff that is decent also.

...I have nothing against Peavey quality, but their design philosophy is at odds with my taste...
What I learned about Peavey's approach to design was during the mid-90s when I was involved in MI retail. So it maybe doesn't apply now but here it is none the less: What I was told by a big Peavey retailer was that Peavey made the choice to focus on bang-for-the-buck functionality rather than "repairability". This particular retailer was sensitive to that because they had a large rental business. They had made the decision to NOT rent Peavey gear, though they sold it whole heartedly. Their rental gear got very heavy, sometimes abusive, use so it had to be repairable to be in the rental inventory.

This may be different now, dunno.

Doesn't matter to me though because I like the Peavey gear I have, and it's been pretty rugged. I can only imagine [cringing] how rental gear gets abused.:mad:

Count me in as a Peavey fan.

I still have my 1982 graduation gift from my parents, a Mark 3 Musician head. I still use it as a monitor amp. Works exactly the same as it did when new and it just might outlast me.

My dad couldn't understand why I didn't want a beater car.
I don't think the car would have lasted this long.

cheap gear? rich people?

I get most of my stuff through backroom deals, musicians who are broke,Ebay,and a geetar friend that makes stuff. I cant afford most Peavey and the only "new stuff" I have is a Behringer bass amp which is good, and a Behringer DI setup. No real probs with either. I did buy my Tascam Porta 02 and 424mkII new and they are excellent.

I scored a used POD 2 over the weekend which is really handy and the color reminds me of a red Corvair.

My Dad (God rest his soul) used to always tell me: "Boy, it aint the arrow, its the Indidan". I think gear falls into that as well except for the obvious stuff I look at on the internet.

If any manufacturers in the future hopefully start buildin reel to reels, I WILL do what it takes to score me one of dose. In the meantime, I keep my eyes open for a good 4 or 8 track Tascam reel to reel.

clevo

I'd have to say Peavey I have several Peavey amps (Audition 30, Stereo Chorus 400, Musician) and Mains , as well as a old mixing board all still rock. So of this stuff is prob older than most of the peeps I jam with. I have had to work on the older stuff but , that's what I do anyway.

Rock On

Peavey isn't considered cheap down here. It's pricey & has a varied rep.
Of the cheapies listed I have a few pieces of Behri gear & only 1 piece isn't up to scratch - & that's the octave pedal - I shouldn't've expected much from any octave pedal really but this one doesn't track low notes well & won't run on anything but batteries.

i have a decent behringer 12 channel mixer and I think it works pretty well, (although I haven't tried any of the suggested alternatives) what I'd like to get are the behringer c-2's which are a matched pair of condensers for pretty cheat ($100 around here)

I went with Peavey. I have two of their amps, a Classic 50 4X10 and a Deuce 2X12. I've had the Deuce for over thirty years. It's had lots of beer and other liquids spilled on it, it's been hurled upon and dropped more than once. I still use that amp (and the Classic 50) to this day. I admit neither of them are my "go-to" amps for gigging these days but I have no issues with Peavey's reliability factor.

That being said, I also have a couple of Behringer pieces that haven't given me any problems either. I haven't owned the Behringer stuff nearly as long as the Peavey so time will have to be the judge of that.

I've been volunteering as a church music director for many years, in a number of churches and I've seen a lot of Behringer mixing boards in worship settings. I'm not just talking about small churches with a limited budget but some mega-churches that had very large budgets for their music programs. I've never encountered a problem with the mixers.

I really think that different companies have various products that are simply well designed and therefore are dependable.

I've not read everything in this thread, so please excuse if I'm repeating something. I'd say you could add Samson to the list. I've had some of their mics and got really nice results with them. I also have a pair of Resolv 65a monitors that have served me really well.

I don't trust Behringer as much but, although I've heard many people say they are not reliable, I have to say that I've never had any of the few pieces of Behri gear that I have crap out on me.

I also had an old 90's MX2004 (not the new one) that served me well for years and actually sounded pretty good. Never had anything go wrong on it as well.

Here's my take..

Of the list, I own Peavey and Behringer gear.

Berhinger gear is 2 powered mixers, headphone amp, and some 360watt some pa speakers for a home studio.... oh yeah and a v-tone 1200 guitar head (2x60watts). I like the way it all works, except for the v-tone amp head.

The v-tone 1200 head was given to me to try to get me to use some berhinger gear on stage, I think the amp sounds horrible, so it will be sold soon! It never made it past rehersals!

My personal rigs are Peavey gear featuring a 24 channel stage mixer from the 80's (STILL WORKS 100%), a Peavey Envoy 110 (40watt) transtube practice amp from mid-90's, a Rockmaster 120watt guitar head (all-tube early-80's), 4x12 Cabinet for rockmaster, a Mark IV Musician 400watt bass head (early 80's), and a 2x15 cab for bass. - note I play Bass, Guitar, and Keyboards.

While the Berhringer stuff has lasted a year so far with a fair amount of use, my Peavey gear has gigged with me since the 80's!

I have changed out some tubes in my amps every few years, it has been for maintanence - I have NEVER had peavey gear fail on me!

In the late seventies and early eighties, I was looking to get more power than my 1960's guild amps were giving me - I looked at Lynard Skynard's stage rigs, and talked to some of my L.A. circle of musicians... Peavey was the rage! I have never been that big of a Marshall fan (limited sound) and Hiwatt gear is also very limited sound. A few tweeks on my peavey presence dial and it can sound like either.

Also, marshall is VERY british, a lot of my friends marshalls spend more time back in the UK getting repaired than they do on stage!

I bought in and SWEAR by Peavey equipment (amps, pa's, mixers, and cabs) - yes 27 YEARS later!

The main rigs for my band pa, power amps, etc is all based on Peavey gear!

I hope I can come back years to come and post something nice about berhinger!

ya I would rather have a Carvin mixing console over a Peavey console any day of the week. Peavey makes excellent amps,,Good Instruments and I love the new Versa array speakers but Peavey electronics are about as good a Behringer which we all know how good Behringer crap is:rolleyes:.
we bought the Peavey S-32 mixing console... big mistake!

WARNING DO NOT BUY ANY OF THE SANCTUARY SERIES BOARDS!

the best Mixers on the market IMO are Mackie, Allen & Heath and SoundCraft, A&H and sound craft being the most affordable unless you are planning on going digital then nothing is really that affordable.

PEAVY ! PEAVY! PEAVY! back in high school (eons ago) i ran a y cable into two peavy 60 watt bass amps for my first rig .total cost at pawnshop for both amps and (a really cheap) cort bass about 175 bucks. I dropped one of them down a flight of steps, badly marred ...it still worked as if nothing happened.

just recently I returned a behringer mixer to guitar center for a refund,much to the displeasure of the manger there who gave me the 5th degree as to why i was returning it in the first place ! all i could tell him is

behringer translated means.... junken ze deutch !

I have to go with peavey..but...I do have an old usb Behringer mixer (bcf2000) I used to use with pro tools...and it still works and never had a problem!!! Oh ya and the behringer b2 pro mic is not bad either if you run it through a Great river pre!!

Bought the $20 Behringer XM8500 dynamic mic (SM58 clone) because of all the rave reviews on the Net and I must say I am very impressed with the sound quality. It is now my best dynamic.

I tested it against my friend's Shure SM58 and to me it had far more output and just sounded better.

I then got four friends and my wife to do a blind test of the two mics and all of them picked the Behringer over the SM58.

Uli for President.

Cheap?

I would have to go with Berhinger because I love their small mixers. I've been buying them and they are so easy to use... and small.
I didn't think Carvin was cheap... Neither would I consider M-Audio cheap... Cheap is under $200 or $300 box.
I tried a few Peavey guitar amps and hated the sound so I don't go towards Peavey anymore... And I may be wrong because I know they are built tough!

I think that Peavey came out as an affordable alternative to Fender amps...and not many of them were all that great as far as tone was concerned...they are alot better now.

Where's ART?

Sorry for bumping up all these old threads but it's been great going through all the old stuff on the board.

From the poll choices, I went with Behringer, I've had an Autocom Compressor and it has held up great. Yeah, no one will mistake the sound for a LA-2A; but it's durable and effective at controlling levels.

My fave cheap gear is made by ART. Their Dual MP is one of my favorites and my very first piece of rack gear was their super budget FXR effects unit. That thing had the noisiest flanger but the thing had character!

Back