who's all had training??

Thanks that is all good advice! Fortunately I know what effects are and what they do, from playing guitar for 25 years. Although I have not had practice applying the digital ones, at least I know what a compressor is and how it is used (working from your example). I could see this being a lot harder if I had no idea what a compressor was; or a delay, or a chorus, or a flange etc. That cuts -some- of the learning curve down. And I also know the -basics- of recording. I didn't go into this being a TOTAL newb. Just the PC part. And it's tough enough.

I am, as you say, sticking with one thing now that I've got a handle on it and that would be Acid and other loop-based tools. These things frustrated me for so long. Years. I don't know why. It just seemed so counterintuitive to how I would play music as an analog guitarist - dragging chunks of data all over the place didn't feel like making music and I would always drag a chunk here and one there, looking at some instruction book, and it never amounted to anything and seemed frustrating and I would give up. But finally, last night it became crystal clear. I wasn't using a book or manual, and used the most basic part of the Acid tutorial, the first part about opening files which was about three steps long. Then something just clicked. It's about d@mn time too!

[B] said:
just wondering. and where/how?

Bachelors degree from University of Home Recording dot Com. Lots of reading great posts from our outstanding faculty.

rpe

wow, you guys are actually replying. heh. i'm thinking about this when i get older (sophmore in high-school, now)

http://www.madisonmedia.com/

i've talked it over with my counselor...but my counselor isn't as educated in what i'd like to do as you guys are. is going to school (and paying the bills for it) for recording tech worth it?

[B] said:
wow, you guys are actually replying. heh. i'm thinking about this when i get older (sophmore in high-school, now)

http://www.madisonmedia.com/

i've talked it over with my counselor...but my counselor isn't as educated in what i'd like to do as you guys are. is going to school (and paying the bills for it) for recording tech worth it?

Quite honestly, as much as I hated the long learning curve, I would not want to invest a lot of money into a very long course of training. I briefly checked out the website that you posted, and although I could not find a price, it looks expensive. I spent $40K on college and I don't even use my degree...
What I -would- like is to take some shorter, adult-ed type classes that may not be so intense but only cost $50 or so. They can drastically cut steep learning curves or even worse, walls - and for not a lot of dough. For example, I took a three week course in web design and marketing around 1998, it cost $35 and I learned quite a bit just by being around a bunch of people and messing around, besides the instruction, which was good as well.

The thing is that many subjects do not need months and years of study and classes start to become redundant and in the worst case can even slow your progress - you may be progressing faster than the class and so become stuck going over things that you've already mastered. It's at time like those when I used to question why I was spending so much money on training. I spent almost $4,000 on an MCSE course of training back in 1999 and that very thing happened. Remember that the primary function of any privately owned school is to MAKE MONEY. So don't give yours away!

However - I would definitely not turn down a free ride to attend a school like you found. I'd go if I could. Right now I have not been able to pay back my student loans - almost $40,000 that has been getting postponed since 1996. I cannot afford to go back to a college like that. So take my opinion for whatever it's worth to you, and with a grain of salt. Everybodies position is different. To wit - I am 41, not 21. I have had my chances to go to school and I went, but in the long run it was not worth it for me as I ended up not liking the career that I majored in. Also, at 41 it is harder to get motivated to learn something new and even harder to keep at it when you keep hitting these brick walls in your progress. When I was younger I would spend hours and hours working on projects like teaching myself to build and repair PC's in the mid-90's and then how to repair operating systems and applications - then web design and graphics, but these days, for whatever reasons, I don't do that nearly as much. But I have stuck with this (home studio) since deciding to go for it several months ago, invested time and money (I spent at least $1,500 on software and hardware, so figure that as opposed to spending that same money on school), and I am starting to (finally) see results. Of course I already had a slammin PC that I built for graphics rendering and is very, very stout, all I had to do was add a dedicated 10,000 rpm Raptor drive for the music; and I already had guitars and amps and mics etc. so besides the $200 for the HDD I only needed to buy software and a controller (I ended up spending $500 on the controller instead of my projected $150 but it was well worth it). But now I am motivated and spend much time creating, and when I'm not home I can't wait to get home and create and learn! And I will not need to buy anything else at all for a long time, I bought good tools and the latest versions, and my controller is brand spankin new design - I have plenty of time to grow into my studio before it will need to be updated. But I would say that $3,000 could make a decent personal studio if you started with nothing at all.

If you really want it, and can make it happen financially and time-wise, then my advice is to go for it. But, as I found out with the MCSE school that I attended, you really need to THOROUGHLY check the school(s) out and don't just go to the first one that you see. In my case at the MCSE school, the regular instructor who was highly recommended was struck ill right before the class started and was replaced at the last minute for my course of study - and the new guy sucked. He was not qualified to teach and admitted as much. He was just a guy with an MCSE. After a few weeks I was pretty well pissed off. So be sure that you investigate the schools, and see if they will let you sit in for a class or two. And make conversation with some of the students there, to try and get a feel for what it's like. Because if you invest $10,000 and a projected year or two into it and don't feel that you got the benefit from it that you wanted, well all I can say is that that sucks. At least it only happened to me for $3,800, and I -DID- learn some stuff, so it wasn't a total waste of money and at 90 days, time - but still, I would have done just as well buying $500 worth of materials and doing home study. So just be sure that the cost of the school is worth it compared to what you could do if you spent, say, $3,000 for your own home PC studio and taught yourself. You could very well come out ahead time wise, money wise, and of course you will have some good equipment (some schools will provide you with software as part of your tuition though).

Also, what I found after many years of various education and training is that ultimately it is the instructor who makes or breaks a class. It's amazing - you can take a $50 adult ed class and have an instructor who is MUCH better than someone at a $10,000 college. I have real world experience with this, on both ends - I majored in special ed and have taught. And in all truth, the most memorable instructors that I ever had were at the community college 2 year level, and in non-credit adult ed classes. Not everyone can teach! Just because someone is a great producer does not mean that they can teach or even be interesting. Nothing is worse than a dull instructor who just drones on and all you want to do is leave - especially if you paid big bucks for the school. Don't underestimate how much the instructor plays into it. A good one will get you to learn in leaps and bounds and have you looking forward to class. An average one, as most are, will get the job done and you will get your money's worth and that's about it. A bad one, well......

Good luck, whatever you decide to do, and keep us posted. I'd be interested to hear what you find out as you research the schools, as far as cost, time, course of study, and eqipment provided with tuition.

Hey all,

for what it's worth, I posted several threads a few months ago about if anyone knew of an inexpensive, hopefully web-based recording training where I could learn all this stuff, too. No one really knew of anything, but I did run across a site called iKnowAudio.com. They are not up and running yet but i emailed them and they said they will have a few courses ready to go by the end of this year. it looks like for a full blown course it will be under $100, and they might have smaller courses for even cheaper. jsut thought I would pass the info on. their website is accesible now, but you need to email them if you want specific info.

there are tons of books on all aspects of recording. if you're a book kind of person.

one more tip. if you take notes using notepad, you can use the "find" feature to quickly search your notes. i keep a text file for each software package that I use. say i need to go back and lookup how to change the velocity of some notes in a midi track, i open the text file created in notepad, go to edit, find, type in velocity. makes navigating through my notes alot easier.

Last edited:
TravisinFlorida said:
there are tons of books on all aspects of recording. if you're a book kind of person.

I have a small collection of about ten late-issue books including a few that -just- came out. If you are going to buy books on any subject dealing with computers, then you need to get the latest versions possible. For all but the most basic aspects of computers and software, any book over two years old is worthless - and even a one year old is book getting long in the tooth. It does depend on the subject, for example any book on Reason 3.0 should be good but you wouldn't want one on Reason 2.0 if you have the new one. That's obvious. But if the book is about a variety of subjects, like a book that I purchased last week about plugins and -just- came out (I actually got the only one that they had so far, an advance copy) then you want one as new as possible. I wouldn't want a two year old book about plugins.

Also, not everyone benefits from the book route. For me, I generally do not rely on books to get going because I can get bogged down in them. I find it hard to use books to get started on something that is brand new to me because I can't relate to anything that they are saying, and I do not like to try and read them and learn the program step by step. It's easier for me to get going on the basics by poking around in the program and using the Internet to pick up bits and pieces of specific information that I need - then the books become much more useful to me since I can relate to what they are saying, and I can use the books to become proficient on the more advanced features of the programs.

As of now, my library consists of

Power Tools for Loop Music - Preve, Francis 2004 (with CD)
Understanding Audio - Thompson, Daniel M. 2005
The Desktop Studio - Menasche, Emile D. 2002
Making Music with Samples - Duffell, Daniel 2005 (with CDs)
The Sampling Book - De Furia, Steve and Scacciaferro, Joe 1987
The Beginner's Guide to Computer-Based Music Production - Price, Zack 2004
The S.M.A.R.T guide to Digital Recording Software and Plug-Ins - Gibson, Bill 2005 (with DVD)
Software Synthesizers - The Definitive Guide to Virtual Musical Instruments - Aiken, Jim 2005 (with CD).

In addition, I have quite a few magazine/books of the sort that are published in the UK and cost around $25. These things are awesome! They provide up to the minute, cutting edge info and also come with TONS of free software, good stuff too, not junk and demos that expire. They come with FULL programs that cost more than the magazines! I buy them as soon as I see a new one. I've also been buying them for graphics and web design. If you haven't seen these, go to a good magazine shop (I've been getting mine mostly from Barnes and Noble). They are not cheap for magazines, but these are not your ordinary magazines, they are keepers as far as reference books and the software is great. I've also found the new magazine "Future Music" to be great, it doesn't cost as much and has great articles and software. I'm getting a sub to this one.

As you can see, they are mostly right up to date. Older books can be helpful too, just don't try to save money by buying only old books. Older books are more useful to learn the basics of something - sometimes they can be very helpful because they are more in-depth on the basic stuff as they are a whole book on what would just be one chapter in a newer book. But for things like specific plugins, synths, programs, etc. you really need to have your library be up to date.

Everybody is different though. One of the things that I learned when majoring in education is that there are different learning styles. For example, three basic ones are audio, visual, and kinesthetic-tactual. Audio means that you learn best by having someone explain things to you. Visual means that you learn best by watching someone do something. Kinesthetic-tactual (KT) means that you learn best by doing. I am definitely KT. Books are considered to be supplemental to all of these, but if they had to be pegged then they would fit into the visual mode most of all.

It can be very useful to figure out what your learning style is before spending money on a course of study. Even if you are going to a school, you can find one that best fits your learning style. You do not have to try to fit yourself into one style and one only - just try to determine what style best suits you and pursue a course of study that fits that model. It can make a huge difference. For example, if you are a KT learner like me, you would be wasting your time and money attending a school that does not focus on hands-on learning.

BTW - as far as the notes-taking suggestions, that can be invaluable. Again, you need to find out the best method of notes-taking for your particular style. For me, the best way is to collect articles from the web, magazine CD's, and other places and save them on my PC in highly organized directories that I can go to when needed. I also make my own notes on Word documents (much better than Notepad since they are much more editable and formattable) and place them into my directories.

Also, I purchased a couple of DVDs on Ebay that were comprised of thousands and thousands of articles, tutorials, manuals, links, and other reference materials. They were already fairly well archived, so I just copied them onto my hard drive and fine tuned the archiving to my liking. Along with a couple of other cheap DVDs filled with all sorts of shareware and freeware tools that I also copied and archived, I have a HUGE collection of reference materials on my PC, about 10GB worth. I have obviously not scratched the surface of far as using it all, and I am sure that I will never even see more than about ten percent of what's on there (10GB is a LOT of documents!). But the point is that it's there if I need it, and it's organized well enough that I can find what I need easily.

In addition to all of that, I have copied whole tutorial cd's that I purchased into the directories, such as one for Reason 3.0 and one for Acid 4.0 (I am going to be adding one for 5.0).

There are also folders in there for my own web findings, and for copies of the CDs that come with magazines such as Future Music etc.

PS - I've been thinking of putting all of this stuff onto a couple of DVD's and selling them for a nominal fee like $10 or trading them for other stuff. I put a lot of work into them, I didn't just copy and paste. I want to clean up the archives even more before I do, but let me know if you might be interested.

Last edited:
TravisinFlorida said:
that's alot of learning material you got there. i just learn from free stuff off the internet. :D

I know, me too. But I wanted to have a reference library, and also I can take the books with me when travelling, or read them in bed, etc. Or sit outside on a nice day with a drink and a cigar and read some chapters, then come upstairs and try out my new knowledge. This helps me a lot. Rather than picking a task and trying to learn it I, just a book and let the ideas come to me. And the archived material on my PC is great for when I am working, I am just a click away from just about anything that I might need and I don't have to wade through websites or wait for answers on bb's.

Free stuff is great. But sometimes you have to spend a little money to get exactly what you want. Having been in IT for over ten years, the idea of paying for software seemed ludicrous to me for a long time. Nobody in the business paid for software, and the manufacturers such as Microsoft helped to foster that attitude because they used to give out a lot of software to just about anyone in the business. But these days, and since about a year, maybe a year and a half I ago I got tired of not being able to perform one task or another (not just for music) because I couldn't grab a free program. There are a lot of small developers on the web who make one or two specialty utilities or other software that serve a particular purpose well. So now, if I find one that I like, I will just pay to activate it instead of wasting time trying to find something else free that works, or a crack, or a SN, etc. They rarely ever cost more than $19.95 anyway.

For example, there is a great archiving and file conversion utility called Zip Zag. I downloaded the trial and I really liked it. To me, it was the best one out there. But when it expired, that was it - another useless expired program on my PC. One day I needed to do some archiving and conversion and I was looking for a new, free program to do it with and found nothing that I liked. So I just paid $19.95 for Zip Zag and now I have it, it's registered and I can get tech support, and most of all I don't have to mess around anymore when I need the functions of the program.

Most of these programs are available for download, so as soon as you pay, you get the program with no waiting. The most that I ever paid for one was $29.95 for EWIDO - but this little-known program is the BEST anti-spyware tool out there (followed by CounterSpy, which I also purchased for $19.95). And for viruses as well as a firewall, I bought the PCCillin suite for $20, including one year of updates and tech support. Legally purchased straight from the company, it was a special. That's not a lot of dough. I did not pay to activate Ad-Aware or SpyBot though, I will continue to use the free versions because these do not work nearly as well as the others that I mentioned.

OK so I am a little off topic here so I'll stop. But the point is this - free stuff on the Internet is great, and there is plenty of information to be found at no cost. Of course I use it all the time and in spite of my library, the web is still my main resource. But sometimes you need to spend a little money if you want something specific. Once you spend the money and have what you need, you will feel good because now you have what you need and can quit fooling around and get back to the business at hand.

BTW - I have perhaps $250 invested in my library, so it's not that big of an expense and of course I have all of the resources that I need at my figertips - anytime, anyplace.

Bachelor of Science Physics, Portland State University.
Bachelor of Science Electrical Engineering, Portland State University
19 years professional guitarist.
10 years pro/concert audio engineer.

I am ready to design pro audio gear, not just use it. :) :)

I have a friend who took the Audio Institute of America course and took a look at his course. I am going to grab it. I spend $300 on stuff that is gone the next day (road trip, dinner, movie) so why not get some education and a Diploma to boot.

Grab posts from this site and create a "book" for yourself. Go to Borders or Barnes & Noble, grab a Java and sit back and take notes from the new releases. Fire up your system and start pressing buttons. No matter how you learn, just remember to have FUN with it!

Smurf said:
I have a friend who took the Audio Institute of America course and took a look at his course. I am going to grab it. I spend $300 on stuff that is gone the next day (road trip, dinner, movie) so why not get some education and a Diploma to boot.

I took a look at their website. My question is, how is that any different from all of the tutorials that you can buy on DVD's? Or get for free? I have some great tutorial DVD's that I paid next to nothing for. And you can get some very good ones in many magazines too. I am not putting down the school at all - I do not have the information to form an opinion. I just wonder how much it would differ from a video tutorial. I have trouble sitting down and learning with even the best tutorial, I can only watch them for about fifteen minutes at a time before I seem to fade out.

Having two monitors would be very helpful to me when using video tutorials and might make all the difference. I know that you can minimize and maximize while running the tutorial and switch back and forth from the program to the tutorial, but that doesn't work so well in real life. I have dual monitor capability through my video card and could purchase a cheap CRT monitor as a second, to watch the tutorials on as I work on the programs on my LCD, but right now I honestly have no room for another monitor. I wish that I did because I can get perfectly working 19" and larger CRT monitors for under $50, anyone can, they're all over the place. People can hardly give them away these days. I threw about five fairly new and working monitiors away a few months ago, I had no use for them and it wasn't worth trying to sell them for $25 apiece or whatever.

My main 2 reasons for thinking about the AIA course is, #1 people in my area (Cleveland, OH) will not take any seriously unless they have ether a course under there belt or use Pro Tools (even tho the work they have done speakers for it's self). # 2 is the big one for me, the course is in a "hardware form" i.e.. its a book and audio cd course, so that means I don't have to sit in front of the computer any more than I do now (and that is way to much! ;-)

I have a lot of reference books, home studio help books, pages and pages of site downloads and freebies, but for the cost of this course I can have structured, thought out, and all in one system that I can keep learning from after all the test are over. I have found that the people that have used this course have gone on to a more intense one down the road, and that's fine. I would just like to have a piece of paper saying I have a course under my belt, and since I am mainly a home setup, it is really for my own "ego" if you will. BUT.............being able to show potential clients some "docs" could help out in the long run!

Ether way, I think that sometimes we all get caught up in "learning the right way" to use recording gear, but forget that making the big flubs is part of the fun. As a pro musician for 30+ years I sometimes forget WHY I got into music................to HAVE FUN! When it starts being too much like "work" that is when I take up fishing. And I am not saying we should not take it seriously or not give 110% to it, but if it starts to take over your life, or becomes an obsession then it's time to take a step back and see why we are in it.

Now after all of that, my disclaimer. This is just my humble opinion and is not meant to start any wars. Everyone is different in their goals and wants, so do what everyone does, take the good, trash the bad, and move on!

I have degrees in Music (Theory and Composition, and Performance) and a Bachelor's In Computer Science. I also minored in Psychology.

No formal training in Audio Engineering.

help

hey i need adivise i havea fender squire and a fener 15 watt amp i want to sound better hiow do i make my guitar have distortion

skaterjac91 said:
hey i need adivise i havea fender squire and a fener 15 watt amp i want to sound better hiow do i make my guitar have distortion

being nice....it's probably a built-in effect on your amp. most of them do now-a-days. look for a knob to press. it might say "over-drive" or there might just be a gain button that you have to turn up. if not, then you'll have to go out and buy a distortion pedal.

skaterjac91 said:

i'm not sure how you ended up in this thread, but oh well. if the amp is one of those little fender amps, forget about getting high gain out of it, which is distortion. you might get a decent sound using a distortion pedal thru it but I doubt that too. those amps were'nt made for producing a high gain sound. what type of sound are you trying to get?

Back