Who?

Snowman999

Everyone has their musical heroes.

Jimmy Page #1. He's other worldly on the guitar.
Mick Ronson #2. Magnificent guitarist and arranger.
Mick Jones #3. He's no powerhouse on the guitar. But, everything he does is perfect. Brilliant songwriter and vocalist. He was the musical force of the Clash. His solos are the essence of cool.
Johnny Thunders #4. He doesn't get an iota of respect he deserves. Everyone wanted to be him. You could play his riffs on his guitar through his amp, and you still couldn't duplicate him. Every hair metal band in the 80s did the Thunders/Doll hair and none had his style.

With the exception of Jones, I knew all these guys since the early 70s. It was in the late 70s I saw Roy Buchanan on TV, and said "I want that guitar". It's obviously the guitar making those sounds, and if he can do it so effortlessly, I could do it.

I'm grateful I got to see him play live. I wasn't more than two feet from him.

Roy supposedly committed suicide after being arrested for being drunk and disorderly after a domestic disturbance. He was found hung by his shirt in a cell. What a waste.

I'd bet only the old foggies like me remember what a guitar force he was.

Musical heroes, eh?

#1 My earliest heroes were the Beach Boys. Carl Wilson's guitar work caught my ear. I wanted to play like that. I loved their harmonies and cool songs.

#2 Jimi Hendrix - I still listen to him to this day.

There are lots of other artists that I have admired and enjoyed all these many years, but those are extra special to me.

I'm afraid I have none. Heroes are a set-up for a life disappointment.:censored:
Are you saying there is not one artist that you wish you could be? I love plenty of artists. Some, most would think I have special needs. But, that's not the point. You look up to no one? I'm not sure if that's strange or sad.
Musical heroes, eh?

#1 My earliest heroes were the Beach Boys. Carl Wilson's guitar work caught my ear. I wanted to play like that. I loved their harmonies and cool songs.

#2 Jimi Hendrix - I still listen to him to this day.

There are lots of other artists that I have admired and enjoyed all these many years, but those are extra special to me.
I never was a Beach Boys fan. I won't turn them off. But, they just don't do it for me. But, you can thank the drummer for the Sharon Tate slaughter.

Hendrix is easy to idolize. No one sounds like that. BUT, if Hendrix didn't die, he'd be playing the theatre the next town over. He's distinctly the 60s. Brilliant. No one can deny that. Every guitarist was in awe of his ability. I have the extended and specialized releases of the work released before he passed, and quite a few of the releases after he passed. He's magnificent. But, he and Janis ARE the remnants of the hippy era. The King and Queen. I love them both. I watch videos of them and it's such a tiny space in time, that can't be removed from the equation. Zeppelin, Bowie (with Ronson), The Clash/BAD, The NY Dolls can be played now, and still feel relevant.

I never was a Beach Boys fan. I won't turn them off. But, they just don't do it for me. But, you can thank the drummer for the Sharon Tate slaughter.
You probably weren't a 10 year old when you first heard Surfin, Little Deuce Coupe and In My Room. It was a big change from Patsy Cline, Lawrence Welk, Chubby Checker and Floyd Cramer that were on the radio.

Hendrix is easy to idolize. No one sounds like that. BUT, if Hendrix didn't die, he'd be playing the theatre the next town over. He's distinctly the 60s. Brilliant. No one can deny that. Every guitarist was in awe of his ability. I have the extended and specialized releases of the work released before he passed, and quite a few of the releases after he passed. He's magnificent. But, he and Janis ARE the remnants of the hippy era. The King and Queen. I love them both. I watch videos of them and it's such a tiny space in time, that can't be removed from the equation. Zeppelin, Bowie (with Ronson), The Clash/BAD, The NY Dolls can be played now, and still feel relevant.
We're obviously from different eras.

The problem is that since Jimi died, he couldn't evolve and evolution was definitely in his future. He set the rock world on it's ear in '66 and was gone in '70. He learned the showmanship from the old guys, and could put on a show with lots of wild style and flair, but the man could PLAY, and his music was beyond what came before. While I can dig Zeppelin and Bowie, I was never a fan of the Clash or the Dolls. I had moved on to Yes, ELP, Steely Dan and others. The "avant garde" scene with Velvet Underground, Andy Warhol, and Iggy Pop and the punk scene were all show and no go to me.

I'm afraid I have none. Heroes are a set-up for a life disappointment.:censored:
In no way a critique of this sentiment, rather an exploration of definition of terms.

Hero, a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities: Note, it says idealized not idolized. If applied to the term musical hero's, isn't it really another way of asking who were your musical influences? It's an odd phrase to be sure. In a world where the term Swifties exists, your statement otherwise has resonance.

I consider myself kind of lucky both in recording and live sound work. I shifted from rock club work to roots, classical, jazz and folk genres. Over the years, I got to work with a number of artists I admired and who's work I appreciated. In this less aggrandized world, I had nearly no disappointments when meeting artists.

His song "The Messiah Will Come Again" was huge on FM radio here in Montreal in the 70's. Unfortunately, it was really the only song of his they played...and they played the hell out of it.

Last edited:
Mel Bay, he knows all the chords.

I think in a way all that heroes stuff went out the window with vinyl LPs. The smell, the photos, and of course the music, you got to create an image of your desired interpretation, the/your hero. MTV, video. technology, you sort got to meet those guys. Discovered, I don't like that guy, a d*ck, a jerk. Possibly some exceptions, but more often the rule. Disappointing. Or was. Just shut up and play applies. Let go of that heroes stuff, gain more maturity, fewer personalized expectations, let the music do the talking. Of course there were interviews before the technology provided greater access. Hendrix commanded the stage, if you were expecting that guy to show up for an interview you would likely be disappointed. Shy, seemingly insecure, childlike, possibly on the spectrum....no offense in saying, idiot savant territory. Some people get offended n pissy when I bring up that possibility, their hero.

Nephew and I were throwing out there, if you could sing like anyone who would it be. Mine if I recall, Paul Rodgers, Paul Carrack, Steve Walsh, off the top of my head. He said he was surprised I didn't say Brian Wilson, given a beach boys fan and have talked about Brian's ability to move in and out of that at times (heartbreaking) whiny falsetto. I like it, that doesn't mean that's what I'm down with being stuck with. In the end I gotta be me, that's the only me I can be. Anything else is an insincere put-on, affected nonsense. Sometimes I suck, other times for good or bad listening to playback, nobody else could have sung it that way. I'm okay with that, what other choice do I have than some unattainable dream to mimic someone else, a "hero".

Remember back in the 90s, the marbles in the mouth vocal stylings originating and made popular by everybody's hero Eddie Vedder? /Hero worship, please make it so. He was even more annoying than that other guy, whose name will go unmentioned. Don't get me started.

LOL! "Look up to" anyone? No. Why is that strange or sad? If anything, I find it strange and sad to idolize another human being. I admire a lot of people's talent, but "Look up to them"? Never, why would I ? These people go to the bathroom just like you and me. They're not special human beings and I'm not 12 yeas old any more.

I've met quite a few "Big name" artists in my life, from Peter Erskine to Phil Collins to Frank Marino. Used to jam with Frank and his brother Vince. Who gives a shit. Not me. I've also opened for quite a few and served many when I worked at Canada's largest music store. I once tuned Levon Helm's drums for him, and there was absolutely no thrill for me. They're just people with a talent. If anything, they should be thrilled to meet me. :D

I can't get excited about meeting someone who isn't just as excited to meet me. :)
Was that at Steve's Music? God I bought my first guitar, a used custom Les Paul there in 76 or 77 for $450 ... CHOM CHOM CHOM ...

Was that at Steve's Music? God I bought my first guitar, a used custom Les Paul there in 76 or 77 for $450 ... CHOM CHOM CHOM ...
Yes, I miss that old CHOM theme. They rarely use it any more. :)

I went on a little long in my post there. Probably over-stated my point. I'm going to go cut it. :D

Are you saying there is not one artist that you wish you could be?
I just don't think in those terms. I have no wish to be any artist, I have no wish to be anyone else. I actually quite like me. Now, that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind particular artists' musical abilities contributing to my songs. There's loads there.
I love plenty of artists
So do I. But none of them are my heroes.
You look up to no one?
I had to think about that one. You know, if I'm clinically honest about this, I haven't actually looked up to anyone since I was about 14. There have been a few people that have had aspects of themselves that I've admired. But never for any great length of time.
I suppose that makes me sound awfully arrogant but I don't think I am. At least, I hope I'm not.
I'm not sure if that's strange or sad
It may well be strange. I don't think it's sad at all. I can love someone's music {or whatever we may be talking about} without wanting to be that person or wishing I could play/sing like them. In order to explain where I'm coming from, I'd have to lay out an entire treatise of my life thus far and I wouldn't do that to you guys ! But suffice it to say, I have passed through a range of experiences that have contributed towards me being the awkward, self-sufficient person I am. Many people that have rubbed shoulders with me think I am a little zingy, a little weird. But I don't. I just think things through and reach conclusions that many wouldn't. There aren't many Christians that don't celebrate Easter or Christmas or that think that God doesn't know what the future brings in any exhaustive detail. Welcome to my world ! :unsure:
When it comes to music, I never bought into the rock aesthetic, or to be more precise, by the time I should have been, life had dealt me lessons that ensured I couldn't take all of that seriously.
I never was a Beach Boys fan
From the moment I heard "I get around" I had an interest in them. I love some of their music. It's funny, their name should be one of the worst band names ever, but somehow, it isn't stupid. It really should be. But somehow, it's not.
But, you can thank the drummer for the Sharon Tate slaughter
Well, that's one of my pet subjects, so suffice it to say, that is not in the slightest bit true.
While I can dig Zeppelin and Bowie, I was never a fan of the Clash or the Dolls
Me neither. I always thought the Clash were crap. They always struck me as those West London White boys that sooooo wished they were Black and actually had a reason to get shirty with the wider society.
I had a run-in with Mick Jones that left me struggling to think pleasant thoughts about him. But in fairness, I'd thought the Clash were lame a good 10 years before that.
isn't it really another way of asking who were your musical influences?
Well, there's another interesting question. I never had musical influences. Inspirations, yes. But influences, no. I never studied or particularly listened to any bass players before I took up the bass. I noticed Roger Waters and Bill Wyman {some of what I thought was him turned out to be Keith Richards} but in reality, it was the songs and bits that were in them that really tweaked me before I noticed the instrumentalists. I remember adoring the piano at the end of "Street Fighting Man" which is played by Nicky Hopkins....but that made me really think about the bass ! Go figure.
There are so many songs, songwriters and instrumentalists that have played a major, middling or minor role in me being where I am, some of whom I couldn't even name because I don't know who they are or what the song is called.

You look up to no one?
Let me give you an example of something here. When I got into jazz and jazz-fusion, particularly jazz-rock fusion, I noticed that Stanley Clarke, Rick Laird and Jeff Clyne, who appeared on loads of tracks that I really liked, played both the bass guitar and the double bass. I was already a bass guitarist and I'd liked the double bass for years and I liked the idea of playing both, so I bought a double bass from some Scottish guy called Archie. I didn't study Clarke, Clyne or Laird in particular but I did take note of what they did within the songs they appeared on. They didn't influence me because I couldn't be bothered to try and reach their level. I didn't take up the instrument to be a virtuoso or to be able to play with great musos. I took it up because I liked the sound and I could see where it would make a contribution to my music. I use it a lot and I don't think any of the parts I've done are anything special.....but they are my parts. I have taken note of loads of bassists of the electric and acoustic variety but I don't try to copy them. Life's too short for that.

There are a lot of artist I admire - none of whom I would want to be - I want their Talent and Creativity - but most Artist are weird people (just like me)
and that doesn’t appeal. An Artist I admire a lot is Neil Finn -

Back