"Who You Are"

jimmychalk

Hey, y'all, I've spent probably the whole last week on this tune and It's hard for me to get some new insight on it, so I'd like to see what y'all think. It's an original written by our church band and recorded at my house. If anyone's got any ideas, that would be AMAZING!

Check it out at

Very, very good. I assume it's a youth band because of the Youthquake name. Where do y'all go to church? Excellent vocals, good guitar playing. I liked it a lot. I thought the recording was pretty decent.

Make some more!

sounds like a LIVE recording.
Great high energy performances of all instruments and a powerful, effective vocal on top.

Couldn't ask for much more.
Keep writing and performing, you never know what may become of it.
One things for sure, you'll have a lot of fun and meet lots of people.

I agree, sounds really really live.
love the drums...

good song overall, :cool:

on second listen, the hi-hat sounds a little too heavy in the mix...but, maybe its just these headphones.

Thanks guys... I'm new to this recording rig, but I'm trying to work out all the bugs and stuff... I think since this is the first full tune I've done w/ this recording system, everything is mixed up-front and "live" sounding, just because that's pretty basic. I think it's probably appropriate for this song, tho. About the hi-hat... the close mic on it is relatively low just because I didn't realize the drummer played so stinkin hard... He overloaded the mic, which is rated at 115 SPL, so... yeah, it's probably just coming thru alot thru the overheads. Thanks for your comments, anybody wanna take a listen, go for it!

http:.//www.jimmychalk.com/WhoYouAreThurs.mp3

I dig the drums too...I like the panning up front...chick sounds good man...nice clean vocal sound...little bit Averil in there..a bit softer..I think you need to bring up the guitars in general...especially during your "hook"..needs balls man...the kind of balls you gave to the 1st release with 8vas on the guitars..while we're at it man...I need more bottom...more BOTTOM..and more bass. The song is structured well. No probs here with the songwriting. I definitely would harmonize the hook hardcore!

I think the vocals are a bit too upfront and loud, just because they're on key doesn't mean they have to dominate like that...just tone that down and you're on your way to christian rock superstardom...those suckers will buy anything!

By the way, rock and roll is Satan's turf, lay off man!

brandon.w said:
1. ...those suckers will buy anything!

2. ...rock and roll is Satan's turf...

Hey, Brandon,

I'm really being tongue-in-cheek here...

1. Suckers are uniformly distrubuted throughout the population, ie, people are just as likely to buy pet rocks no matter their religious beliefs.

2. God owns Satan, so Satan's turf is by definition God's as well.

If you want to take this to the cave we could.

Hey Firesole, which part are you referring to as the hook? And I may just be totally oblivious, but what the heck are 8vas? Haha, thanks for your comments man.

Brandon, yah, I was worried about the vox being a little too heavy as well, I just need to ride the fader a bit on the different parts, I think. I'm sorry that ya think all Christians are musically inept. It's true that many Christians will buy anything. However, as APL mentioned, suckers are everywhere. They are called your teenyboppers and the "obscure" crew, who'll only listen to stuff no one's heard of. Regardless of belief, there are groups of people who will listen to whatever is given to them, and Christians are "given" lots of music via their churches, etc. I think you're joking about laying off Satan's turf, because we all know that he's a newbie in the music industry.

We're gonna work on some bgv's as well as keys and acoustic later, so a new mix will be up soon. If anyone would like to give their opinion on this one, check it out at

Thanks!!!

Hey Brandon, Have you heard the new song "Throw Up your rock Fist"(not misspelled) by Thousand foot Krutch. Yeah that song rocks. yeah....christian band. Sorry Dude this is gods world, therefore his turf.

Jimmy, Needs more cowbell..

Stockton

Ya Jimmy...hook (or chorus)..is the part of the song that gets repeated...sometimes the title of the song , usually using some of the same words. Hook is referring to the fact that this part of the song is the part that "hooks" the listener. It's the part that producers hope will stick in your ear forever...Like the part where whitney sings...IIIIIIIIIIIIIII...willl always love you.IIII ..over and over. Gazillion examples available..all songs (never all really) need a hook.
A typical rock or pop formula would be...verse, hook, verse, hook, release (solo or contrasting melody and or chord changes), verse hook 2x and out!
8vas = Octaves. This is worldwide! DL my song..the pain at http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6ofaf/ This is a typical formula...Verse..hook...verse..hook...solo section w/ modulation...verse.hook 2x and out or...ABABCABB...A being verses (story line)..and B being Hook...C=release....Songwriting 101 man!

This is surprisingly good, I think. Everything sounds very "alive". My only criticism is that the hi hat and cymbals are pretty harsh on the ears.

Keep up the good work!

I'm listening on headphones but I think the bottom still needs to come up.....

Jimmy, what kind of reference monitors do you have??

Good tune, and performed well but it lacks presence...I think due to the lack of low end....it's like there's no foundation.

Hey Brandon.... either your joking or terribly blind....When Jesus died he descended into the depths of the earth and took back the authority Adam gave to satan in the garden....satan's just a tenant who's lease is about to expire!

Have a great day!!

That's really well done! Like others, I thought the vocal was just a tad too much in front, but overall I'd say it was well written, executed and mixed.

Back