who needs a stinkin' mixer!

druid

So I have my computer set up. I have my sequencing program (vegas pro) my sound card (darla), mics preamps and everything else that is necesarry for homerecording. Now I am trying to mixdown and find it to be a real pain in the ass. Why? The time delay when I actually use the mouse to pan specific tracks. I am really interested in investing in a digital mixer with outboard effects ( I am eyeing the fostex 8 channel right now.) Since I am a newbie I really have no idea if this would help me. I started learning how to record on my computer and have not had any analogue experience. I have not even had the satisfaction of actually turning any physical knobs I just use my mouse to tweek the virtual ones. Can any one tell me how to go about using a mixer with a sequencing program (can I assign one channel of the mixer to a specific track on Vegas?) Are there other posts on this site that deal with this issue? Is it to my advantage to have a digital mixer for mixdown and recording or will it collect dust along with my Anteres Auto-tune program that I shelled out $200 for? If it is a worthwhile investment could you tell me what the advantages are?

I think I understand your frustration. It has more to do with your feeling of disassociation because of the lack of physical contact and the limitations of controlling a mixer on the computer screen.

Looking at a real life mixer and a mixer on a screen are two different things. Working a real life mixer and a mixer on a screen are two different things.

It has something to do with physical contact with knobs and faders as opposed to mouse contact. I think the brain functions far better with a look and feel relationship (real mixer) than a look and see relationship (screen mixer).

Anyway, this is all too phsycological to me. I suggest buying a real mixer because it gives you a comfort zone. If you want to record, the most important thing is to feel comfortable with your kit as it will allow you to focus on the real issue, recording.

As to how exactly this mixer can help you in your configuration, i hope some of the BBS's moderators or senior members can help you as I am not familiar with Vegas Pro or Darla. I am using Cubase.

Quote:can I assign one channel of the mixer to a specific track on Vegas?

It depends, how many tracks are you going to record at one time and how many inputs does your soundcard have? If it's a regular soundcard that came with your computer, it probably only has one input, so you cant record each instrument (if your recording simotaneusly))on different tracks. you would have to record one track from the mixer to the computer, then do another track and so on. If you have a fancy sound card lets say 4 inputs, you could plug up to 4 tracks of you instruments from your mixer to the computer and record them at the same time seperatley. you have to change the settings around on Vegas Pro so you specify which input goes to which track on the program, i dont use vegas pro so I wouldnt know how to do it. But I know how to do it on cool Edit Pro if you have the prog. I hope I helped you.

If you have Vegas, you have one hell of a mixer. You can do automated mixing, Dynamic volume and pan changes that you would be hard pressed to duplicate with a "hands on" mixer. I have both and I used to feel the same way you do but once you get used to it, you won't want to mix any other way.

kikling -

wouldn't being able to record individual tracks after having them go through a mixer depend on whether or not the mixer has direct outputs? From what i know about mixers, they often only have a pair (for stereo) of XLR outputs, RCA outs, or both.

Once again, i'm not sure about this - it's only a thought.

Back