who makes new multitrack reel machines

osus

This is just an idle-curiosity question, as my pocketbook's pitiful enough that I have to sit down and think long-and-freaking-hard about whether I want dinner before I sink money into buying those oh-so-price fuji ZII tapes, but, here goes...

does anyone out there produce new multitrack (eg, 4+ channel) reel-to-reel machines? Unless I'm just totally inept it seems like all the big names in this industry from bygone years have jumped onto the digital lorry...

if you wanted a brand-shiny-new reel 8 track, and were willing to fork over the cash, where would you go?

osus,

I think the lack of answers pretty well sums it up.

The only factory-new multitrack I have heard of lately is the Tascam 34 which evidently is being made in small numbers for the Japanese market, and has found its way to TascamCanada as well, according to a post over at www.tascam2488.com.

Tascam's other offering is their broadcast workhorse BR-20 two-track mastering machine which is still in the catalog.

I am not pushing Tascam per se, but I can't think of anyone else who is still making analog reel-to-reels. For an 8 track or above, used seems to be it.

CC

The Tascam Br-20 has gone the way of the Dodo, I'm afraid to say :( The only half track reel to reel still in production, it seems, is the Otari MX5050B III

As for multi-track. Studer might still have a few A827 Gold Editions left. :D

Back