Who influenced your style?

Chronological order:
My Grandad->Buddy Rich->Billy Cobham (short spell of that)->DAVE GROHL->All the teen heroes like Tre Cool->Stewart Copeland->Vinnie Colaiuta->Chad Smith->Rupert Brown (my old drum teacher, bit of a legend)->DRUMMERWORLD

I've discovered too many drummers to mention recently, current favourites Chad Smith, Ringo, John Blackwell Jr., and as ever, Vinnie.

James Gadson
Ringo
Jaco Pastorius
Boris Williams and Jason Cooper (The Cure)
Nana Vasconcelos (Brazilian)
Max Roach
Joey Baron
Carlinhos Brown (Brazilian)
Changuito (Cuban)
El Negro (Cuban)
Phil Rudd
Kiko Freitas (Brazilian)
Jamie Haddad
Ray Brown (the bass player)
Bootsy Collins (the bass player)
Milton Banana (Brazilian)
Ziggy
Zooty
Prince/Morris Day/etc
Ariovaldo Contesini Paulinho (Brazilian)
Hal Blaine
Bill Stevenson (All/Descendants/Black Flag)
Joao Bosco (Brazilian singer/guitar player)
Alan Myers (Devo)
Charlie Watts
Papa Jo Jones
Philly Joe Jones
Robertinho de Silva (Brazilian)
DH Phillegro (Dead Kennedys)
Bonzo
Bernard Purdie
Whoever played drums on Love My Way by The Psychedelic Furs

Did Jaco play drums?????

I wouldn't be surprised, a lot of drummers play bass, and vice versa - I know some great players that crossed from both sides.

Also, to my list I must add Steve Jordan - can't BELIEVE I missed him out!!

Actually I've read that Jaco was a decent drummer

He played drums very very well.
If you don't have Weather Report's album called Heavy Weather then you may be going to hell. To this I refer you to Pascal's wager: why take the risk? Just believe, buy the album and avoid hell.

Jaco plays drums and bass of his tune Teen Town. It's a great example of chops meets melody. Sometimes people with chops don't have a clue about playing melodically. Jaco had both.

But even if he never played drums, his bass playing has influenced my drumming in a big way. Phrasing, tone, articulation; all things I strive for as a drummer.

Ive got that album on a cassette somewhere. I'll have to dig it up. I've listened to it lots of times mainly for his bass playing but now I will check out the drumming, also I don't wanna go to hell. Thanks for the info.

I guess we can safely assume then, that because Jaco played the drums on that album , he aint in hell.

It would also appear that if you listen to that album, you dont go to hell. Absolved of all wrong doing, kinda like a catholic confessional.:eek:

Yup, However I've only seen one credit

Did Jaco play drums?????

He's got the drum cred on "Teen Town" on Weather Report's "Heavy Weather," but that's all I've ever seen. It sounds like multiple dubs too, but it is a drumming credit.

I think Jaco was a bit more well known as a bass player *dry cough.* Oh, and he didn't bounce very well.

For me, it's going to be Bonham, Ian Paice, Lee Kerslake (played on the first 2 Ozzy records) Tommy Aldridge, Bun E. Carols (Cheap Trick) and a guy named Leonard Haze who played in Y&T (Their first album is SMOKING! The guy is like the American Bonham - actually, I think he was better than Bonham, if you can believe that.)

Y&T - Midnight in Tokyo (about their 4th or 5th record)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuZKoT_4sZk

A little Tribute they did last week to Kevin DuBrow (who says 80's metal is dead? listen to that crowd)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY1yh13K_Tk

This is leads from the first album, but just listen to the drumming and you'll hear a major influence on me. Wait until it gets after 1:00 into this - you'll start hearing Haze pick it up and you'll see why I love his playing on this. King of the Single kicks, man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6TOiKhB7iE

Tim

Last edited:
John Bonham ----> Dave Grohl

Whenever I hear drums in my head it's Dave playin' 'em, and he said he learned to play by pounding away to Bonham's stuff.

Back