who else likes sdc's for recorded vocals?

osus

hey-yo,

i was just listening back and forth between recordings i've done over the years (both of them) of vocals on various mics and found that i seem to be happier with the way my voice sounds through my trusty (and cheap) ev pl77b battery-powered sdc than it does through the three ldc's i've recorded through (an AT i don't remember the model of, an AKG solidtube and a shure ksm44).

i realize there's a million reasons why this is hardly a stable argument to stray from the proven advantages of an ldc for vocals (most notably that i haven't tried very many, i've never worked with a genius sound engineer, i'm used to the way i sound through the ev because i own it, my voice is my voice, my ears are my ears, etc. etc.)

i also realize and firmly agree with the common-sense maxim about cakes.

but anyways, the point of my post is:

is there anyone else out there who finds an sdc is sometimes the right choice for recording vocals in a studio situation? and if so, what situations?

Yes... the right situation is always the same situation... when it sounds the best on the voice at hand compared to the other mics available.

Back