Who cover

PDP

There once was a note
A cover of the song "1921" from the Who's Rock Opera Tommy, with the incoming year 2021. All comments welcome. :)

Attachments

• 1921.mp3
    7.8 MB · Views: 17
Nice sounds overall. Guitars sound nice and pleasant. Vocals sit well, and the harmonies sound excellent! Bass is full but sounds a bit all-consuming.

I only have two nits really:

1. Drums sound pretty programmed. What are they? If I had to guess, I would say an Alesis drum machine or something similar from the 90s. They just don't sound terribly lively.

2. Timing issues. There are quite a few spots where various instruments are rushing and preventing it from really settling into a deep groove. The very first bass note of the whole song is quite rushed, for example. But the guitars are also rushing many times throughout as well.

If you can tighten up the timing --- either through re-recording parts or editing --- it would help tremendously, IMO.

Nice job, overall!

1. Drums sound pretty programmed. What are they? !

EZ Drummer, Yeah programming a Keith Moon drum track was impossible. I had to basically invent a whole new groove the best I could for the song. What Keith and and John do on the album is a totally improvised live track.

First impression is that drum track is dragging behind the rest, at the start at least. You probably need to just nudge it forward a smidgen. I don't know the song but you've nailed the backing vocal - very Who-like. If you get the groove locked in more consistently it will be a worthy track

I think it is a well balanced mix. I think if you tighten up the timing a bit it will be a really cool Who cover

I think it is a well balanced mix. I think if you tighten up the timing a bit

First impression is that drum track is dragging behind the rest, at the start at least. You probably need to just nudge it forward a smidgen.

Nice sounds overall. Guitars sound nice and pleasant. Vocals sit well, and the harmonies sound excellent! Bass is full but sounds a bit all-consuming.

I only have two nits really:

1. Drums sound pretty programmed. What are they? If I had to guess, I would say an Alesis drum machine or something similar from the 90s. They just don't sound terribly lively.

2. Timing issues. There are quite a few spots where various instruments are rushing and preventing it from really settling into a deep groove. The very first bass note of the whole song is quite rushed, for example. But the guitars are also rushing many times throughout as well.

If you can tighten up the timing --- either through re-recording parts or editing --- it would help tremendously, IMO.

Nice job, overall!

So taking all the suggestions so far I made a new track/mix. I could only advance the drums about 1/256 of a beat more or it sounded off. A few of the Drum fills did however sound better at a bit more. I lowered the bass 1.5db. I lowered the drum fills because I agree they sound a bit fake for this tune. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm very happy with the track.

View attachment 1921V2.mp3

Back