Whitesnake new recording - strange mix

Mattoooo

Anyone else find the mix strange? The main guitar riff is very loud, the 2nd solo is pretty quiet, vocals very quiet, drums are pretty quiet...mids are very scooped to sound modern, but thats usually to allow headroom for drop D 7-string tunings and lots of heavy bass sounds etc which isnt really happening here

Sounds like pretty much every other sterile "metal" mix and video I've ever heard/seen. 60% guitar, 30% vocals, 10% originality.

Man, this tune used to have soul. Makes me really appreciate Blackmore, Lord, Paice, and Hughes. Coverdale sang it better with Deep purple, too. (I know that was almost 50 years ago, but....this doesn't sound natural, he's forcing it)

Last edited:
I thought it sounded pretty good. I'd have to give it more then 10% originality, since Coverdale wrote 50% of the tune. Coverdale was never my favorite deep purple singer, but he does great in this, IMO. After seeing his live singing of late, I wasn't sure he could sing at all anymore. He can in this. Ian Gillan was my favorite lead singer for Purple. Glenn Hughes was the most godawful singer I've ever heard in my life.

Good to see Tommy Aldridge still banging away.

Coverdale was never my favorite deep purple singer
Mine neither. But he was great on "Come Taste the Band."
Ian Gillan was my favorite lead singer for Purple
I love Gillan's vocals while he was in Purple. He was Ritchie Blackmore's answer to the screaming of Robert Plant.
But I think Rod Evans was every bit as good as Gillan. I think he's excellent on "Shades of Deep Purple" and outstanding when he fronted Captain Beyond's debut. In fact, it's funny that two of my favourite debuts have him as the lead vocalist. I thought Jon Lord was unnecessarily cruel when he said Rod sounded like Tom Jones. Although he went on to do some stupid things later, rock history has judged him harshly as a singer.
But I don't care. I think he was rad !
Glenn Hughes was the most godawful singer I've ever heard in my life.
Man, that's harsh. But it's your choice. I do think Glenn has often been overrated. But he could sing well. His time as a vocalist with Trapeze was pretty special. They were one of the great underrated heavy-rock outfits.

Yeah, that is a bit harsh for sure. I take that back. I revisited some of his stuff on youtube, and he is better then I remembered, certainly a classic rock vocalist. Still active and capable singer for his age, which is impressive. I think it's his overuse of the high register screaming that gets me. Gillan did it a bit, but much more tastefully IMO.

I agree, Gillan was more tasteful with the screams. I do like Glenn Hughes' singing, just that I don't view him as the kind of vocal God that many of the critics do. I think his performances on the "Medusa" and "You are the music, we're just the band" albums are his peak point.
But I'm awfully biased when it comes to albums that I like !
I don't much care for what artists did past the period that I like them in, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Anyone else find the mix strange? The main guitar riff is very loud, the 2nd solo is pretty quiet, vocals very quiet, drums are pretty quiet...mids are very scooped to sound modern, but thats usually to allow headroom for drop D 7-string tunings and lots of heavy bass sounds etc which isnt really happening here

Eh, the whole thing is funky. And not in a good way.

The original is so much better.

As an aside, in my personal opinion, a Les Paul in a Deep Purple song is a no no. Gotta have a strat. Preferably with Ritchie playing it:-)

Last edited:
I'll take the DP version over this one, and Stormbringer is probably my least favorite DP album. Burn was MUCH better. I preferred Come Taste The Band over Stormbringer.

It sounds fine on my laptop plastic speakers, actually seems well done imo...at least like most commercial recordings sound on the laptop.
the lead is loud as the vocal , maybe a bit more 1k-2k peaks...in places, but the lead is clear, notes are all heard not mushblah.... its not that bad is it?

maybe everyone needs to just listen to it through tiny plastic laptop speakers?

Back