White man tracks hip hop.......

djhead

Military Intelligence
A local rapper came by the studio, wanting to record vocals over pre-recorded beats. So says sure, we get him all set up, and this is the final product. Some of it is messy, but any suggestions are helpful.

Bear In mind I have no control over the beat/melody other than effects, eqs, and dynamics. Some of it sounds weird to me, but thats the way he wanted it, and when the client talks, I put my 2 cents in, but ultimately its his demo, not mine.

His name is Problem Solvah, from Phenix City Alabama. If I new the label sponsoring his little bit, I'd give them props too, but I don't. Enjoy!

Bob Her Head
Thugs Aint Perfect

I think Bob-her-head is a bit repetitive, and kinda lacks something, but not sure how to help fix it.

I think Thugs Aint perfect needs some help, but I have studio ear now, and am taking the night off, hoping your comments will give me a fresh angle to approach this with.

Thanks for listening!

Sorry - error message "reach end of thread" or something like that then it almost crashed my comp.

As the songs go, I like Thugs Aint perfect best, but the vocal could be brought a tad. Overall, your technical production sounds good.

Fishmed_Returns said:
As the songs go, I like Thugs Aint perfect best, but the vocal could be brought a tad. Overall, your technical production sounds good.

Yeha, I am not quite finished with Thugs. That woman COULD NOT sing without overloading the mic. And she was on a time limit so before i could get a solution, she had to bolt. The female vox all sound "out of the mix"....like karaoke almost. Any idea how to fix that?

Things sound pretty decent to me....

Bob....to me, the music could use a bit more depth....it seems to be missing some low end, and the lower mids. Maybe bring that up a small amount, and reduce the volume of the music some. That would make the vox sound a bit more full, I think.

Thugs...Vox seem a bit boxy, or something. Sounds pretty well done, but the main vocal needs some depth. Don't know if that's in the production end, or if it was him....maybe a bit too far from teh mic, or something?

Just small nits, as really, things sound pretty good. Just comparing them to a few other tunes I have heard here lately, so take it for that.... :D

djhead said:
That woman COULD NOT sing without overloading the mic.
If she overpowers the mic, use a PAD either on the mic or the mic-pre/mixer.
Or... you can adjust the mic placement so that you still get a good tone without peaking the mic. I usually use the the pad option in these situations.

I would recut the track if that is an option. If you can't, I you could get another female singer to sing with her track and mix them so that the orginal one does not sound too much out of place.

Back