which would be most efficient?

GotHemi

I have 3 synths that I want to sequence and eventually record to audio, as I build up parts of my song (intro, verse, chorus, etc.).

Would it be more efficient to use an MPC 2500 to MIDI Sequence them & then record their audio outputs into a DAW using my Mackie 1220i or just buy a MIDI-USB Interface, MIDI-plug the synths into it and sequence them in the DAW's Step Edit/Piano Roll?

I'm on Windows, so any suggestions as to which DAW would provide both above average MIDI recording & editing? Reaper is pretty cheap in terms of price, but I don't have knowledge on it's editing & recording abilities.

thanks a bunch!

If you plan on tracking out audio (samples?) from the MPC as well as your synths into your DAW then I'd use the MPCs sequencer... The Midi is solid.

As far as DAWs and MIDI... Personally I think Cubase is hard to beat but although I have it I tend to use Presonus StudioOne.
MIDI implementation in Ableton Live is supposed to be very good. Probably worth checking out!

As far as the Mackie...
Great for live, but I'd put money on you getting better recordings using an audio interface...

I've got a 2i2 right now but with several synths, a turntable, MPC500, bass guitar (via POD) and other bits and pieces I'm looking at upgrading to something like the Roland Octa Capture (or Studio Capture if I can get a deal) - that would be my suggestion to you too.

Back