Which Version?

Tekker

Hi guys,

I wanted to get your opinions about a few sounds we’ve come up with in this song I’m recording for my friend’s band... There’s been some dispute within the band, so I decided to post the first half of both the "tweaked" and "plain" versions on here to get some opinions...

The sounds "in question" are the distorted vocals and the lo-fi drum sound during the verse... So do you like them / don't like them / like the idea but it still needs more work (and what could be done to improve them?) / etc...?

It's a rough mix and I'm not done with them yet, but it should be enough to get the general idea. Which version do you guys like better and would want to have in your CD player (if either of them! lol)...

Thanks,
-tkr

i actually really dig the song

i didnt hear a vast dif in the two clips.
the vox and guitars were good
keys could use a low end bump maybe 100 t0 200 hz region
and the kick needs to go up.

try this, get your drums (alone) to sound as good as you can.
then bring in the guitar, then vox
get a nice blend of those three, where, if you wanted to, you could pick any part of the music and hear it clearly.

THEN blend the keys in, on that note, it sounds like the keys need to be louder in the pre verse and verse, and maybe not so much in the chorus.

then fit the bass in as best you can.

after all that, step out of the room youre mixing in and listen from a distance.
does is still sound good? or is it different now.

good luck.

Hey xfinsterx,

I haven’t done a complete mix on it yet, so I know there are still a lot of problem areas in it. lol

Overall the two clips are the same, but in the tweaked version during the first verse (right after the drum break) there is a slight distortion on the vocals and a “lo-fi” drum sound that I did to the drums to make them sound a little different. There is also a cool panning effect during the last half of the first verse. The distorted vocal is also on the first half of the second verse.

The plain version is the same mix, but without the distorted vocals and lo-fi drum sound.

So now that you know what in particular to listen for, which way do you think sounds better?... Keeping in mind the kind the uneven mix in the tweaked version will be fixed. ;)

I don’t think this is quite ready for a full on mix critique yet because there is still a lot to do to it, but I’ll keep your suggestions in mind while I’m working on it. :cool: My main reason for posting it was to get some suggestions on those particular sounds in question, but it never hurts to get some good critiquing along the way! :cool:

BTW, I have made some tweaks the keyboard since making those clips (I made them a while ago to show the band), by adding a chorus effect to it, which really fattened the sound and also gave it an “eerie” sound that fits the mood of the rest of the song. The singer has borrowed another keyboard so we can redo their keyboard parts on a couple songs and add them to a couple of the new ones we are still working on... But after tweaking them, I’m not sure that I want to change them on this song anymore. The new keyboard does sound better than this one (you can hear some clips of me messing around with it), but I think the sound fits in very well with this song now. But I guess we can always try it (since we’ll have the keyboard here) and see which way sounds better!

I just made a new clip the chorused keyboard sound, so you can hear it. I also made some modifications to the “lo-fi” drum sound during the first verse... Never mind the snare sound through the rest of the song (it sounds really annoying in certain places), I’m still experimenting with it. lol :D

Thanks,
-tkr

version 2 is better.
version 1 sounds forced, too abrupt. not smooth, gimmicky, etc.

NOW..on the other hand that keyboard stuff was wonderfaul man!
nice work, soft like tori amos yet bold and whimsical like hanz zimmer.

good work.

oh and the keyboard you choose for the song?

i have no idea i liked em both.

peace.

xfinsterx said:
version 2 is better.
Tweaked version two, or the plain version?

version 1 sounds forced, too abrupt. not smooth, gimmicky, etc.
The forced, abrupt, and not smooth parts will all be fixed. Right now it is very much in the just "thrown together" stage to get an idea of the sound. The transitions (and uneven sound levels) I think are what sound bad at this point in time. I don't know about the gimmicky part, I think it fits with the mood of the song.... Especially the distorted vocals during the "been stuck in this prison" part.

-tkr

Tekker said:
Tweaked version two, or the plain version?

The forced, abrupt, and not smooth parts will all be fixed. Right now it is very much in the just "thrown together" stage to get an idea of the sound. The transitions (and uneven sound levels) I think are what sound bad at this point in time. I don't know about the gimmicky part, I think it fits with the mood of the song.... Especially the distorted vocals during the "been stuck in this prison" part.

-tkr
i wasnt done posting yet, anyways the effected vox stuff was cheese.

xfinsterx said:
NOW..on the other hand that keyboard stuff was wonderfaul man!
nice work, soft like tori amos yet bold and whimsical like hanz zimmer.

good work.
Thanks for the compliments. I'm not really a keyboard player, and the only stuff I can play is a few songs that I've written over at my grandparents house on their piano-keyboard. lol This is the first time I've had a decent keyboard anywhere near my studio stuff, so I HAD to get it recorded while I had the chance! :D

oh and the keyboard you choose for the song?
I'm not sure, it's not here anymore. They brought it over with the intent of getting some stuff recorded, then my grandparents invited my family to go camping with them for a few days (perfect timing! lol) ... So they came and took the keyboard because they were going to use it for one of their shows. But when I get it back, I'll be sure to write the name down this time!

i have no idea i liked em both.
That doesn't help! lol ;):D

-tkr

One thing I'll add (liked the song though)....i like the vox effect in the tweaked version, however when you transition back to the plain version at around 1:03 it's sounds totally unnatural. I'd say either leave the effect the same or work on the vocal mix some more at that point. Vocals also aren't blending well with the rest of the band...Tweak2 version as well. Actually listening to Tweak 2 you change the vocals around too much. I like the effect you have at the beginning and think that you should stick with it. Just my opinion. :cool:

Tekker said:
Was it the particular sound I was using or just the idea of distorting the vocals in general was cheese?

-tkr

the transitioning of the effect was not so great.

smooth out the edges buddy.

Wow,

Too me, the plain one sounds WAY better. I don't like the distortion on either VOX. It seems as tho the bass and guitars sound much more "together" in the plain version. You didn't say anything about changing them, so maybe I'm just hearing things. (by together, I don't mean time-wise, they are just mixed together better).

Overall, it sounds good!

xfinsterx said:
the transitioning of the effect was not so great.

smooth out the edges buddy.
I definitely will, it's still no where near being finished yet...

So far, the bad transitions seem to be the majority of the comments because bennychico11 didn't like the transitions back to the normal vocals (maybe I should have waited until I had everything finished?). But keeping in mind that it will be worked on more and it's not finished yet... Do you guys like/dislike the idea in general?

-tkr

Back