Which Subwoofer?

mk_re

Hey guys..

I'm currently using a pair of mackie mr8's but will soon be upgrading, most likely to a pair of mackie hr824's.. I have to check them out, but I've heard and read good things about them. The mackie HR series sub (hrs120) is a little out of my price range.

Any alternatives out there that will go well with these monitors?

According to reviews the hr824's had a very good bass response, useless your control room is very large you may not need the sub. I think the sub was used more for the hr624's

Cheers

Alan.

so it's not a good idea using a 'unmatched' sub, even if its decent? The room is quite small. I'll see how i go with the hr824's but with the mr8's i feel the sub is necessary.

If you're prepared to "go the distance" with it (which you should in any case) by having the system spec'd out properly, then go for it.

My point is that it's difficult enough to properly balance a room using a sub that's well-matched to the system -- There are certain things you can "assume" in such a case (silly things, like the crossover is actually at the point where it should be in relation to the mains and the volume of the unit is calibrated to the mains). So when you're shooting the room, you can immediately start moving it an inch this way and an inch that way trying to figure out the proper space for the sub.

When the sub isn't matched, you have to match it - and position it - and balance the volume of it. It sounds really simple on the surface - but you quickly find why acousticians pull in $200 an hour for calibration calls...

It's amazingly easy to make a sub "sound good" -- But that has nothing to do with making the system "be accurate" -- And if you're not prepared to go through the motions to make the system accurate, I'd just forget the idea of the sub all together.

IMO/E, YMMV, etc., etc., yada, yada.

Back