Which Studio Amp has great blues / reverb tone?

J

jokerone

Guys,

This is a great amp, but its more of a stage amp due to its power.
Fender '65 Super Reverb - Black | Sweetwater.com

I need something like this, but don't want to pay $1500 for it.

Does fender make something that if you closed your eyes you couldn't tell the difference in the studio but would be underpowered on stage? Sort of a baby brother to this one?

I'm looking for a bluesy reverb type tone for my VERY small studio. I own NI Guitar Rig, but somehow that just doesn't cut the cheese. ;)

BTW, I'm not married to the idea of a fender just like the tone these put out.

thanks.

Check out the Swart amps.

I have the SST....which won't fit your budget, but they do make smaller amps that might, if you buy used....check eBay.

Of course...."Blues Amp" really can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people...so I think most any amp can be a blues amp, depending on your playing style and the guitars you use.

I recently purchased the Bugera 22 which is a 22 watt tube amp. This little beast has a 12" speaker, pentode or triode power and kicks ass. The amp cost me about $350 and really impressed me with its' versatility. It's worth checking out.

Check out the Swart amps.

I have the SST....which won't fit your budget, but they do make smaller amps that might, if you buy used....check eBay.

Of course...."Blues Amp" really can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people...so I think most any amp can be a blues amp, depending on your playing style and the guitars you use.

I guess what I meant was not a Heavy Metal over amped sound.

thanks.

I just read an article on there is a trend towards micing small (1 watt or so) amps that recreate the specific sounds of larger amps. I cant find it ... :(

They used to make a Princeton Recording. It's pretty awesome, but they were still 1K+. I personally like both Princetons and the Deluxe, but I still consider them both pretty friggin' loud. As was already mentioned, a 'blues' sound is pretty subjective. I don't really consider any of the Fenders mentioned a 'blues' amp. I've got a '65 Vibro Champ that is absolutely a blues amp, imo. You can't have it, though. :p Someone mentioned Bugera. I've got a couple of Bugera V5s that are pretty surprising. Slectable between 5 watts, 1 watt, or 0.1 watt. Even has a headphone out. I plug mine into 2 Randall Iso-cabs, one with a Celestion V30 (stock for that cab) and one with a JBL E120.

OK, a Blues Jr I consider a blues amp. Don't know why I didn't think of it, I've got one. Mine's the first version, though, unmodded. Not a huge fan. The IIIs are supposed to be much better, basically like the original but with all of the popular aftermarket mods already done.

i think some of the original blues amps were junky small crap that poor players would use and they were muddy and distorted....but I dont think it was by choice.

or if you're talking the british Clapton type blues era I dont know, bluesbreakers stuff...

shouldnt be hard to find what amps were used, Ive got a feeling it'll be mostly tube though.

i think some of the original blues amps were junky small crap that poor players would use and they were muddy and distorted....but I dont think it was by choice.

or if you're talking the british Clapton type blues era I dont know, bluesbreakers stuff...

shouldnt be hard to find what amps were used, Ive got a feeling it'll be mostly tube though.

That's why I said the JTM45. The Clapton amp. It's like the original modern blues era sound. They're expensive as hell though and don't have reverb. I think some of them have tremolo.

Or you can simply use whatever SRV used.

IMO it's all in the player. I can take any piece of shit amp that there is and dial in a tone that will sound good. So can any other guitar player that's been playing for a while. Though I prefer Marshalls and Fenders, I don't have to have them to get a good tone that translates well to recording. Don't take this as braggadocio because there's thousands of guys that I think play better than I do, but they'll all tell you the same thing I'm telling you. It's not like it's a big secret. LOL! Just because you have the money to buy expensive golf clubs doesn't mean you'll play like Tiger woods! LOL!:guitar:

Back