which soundcard

Young Chris 101

im thinking about getting either the E-MU® 1820M which has 2 preamps coax in and out. adat in and out. 2 sets of midi in and out , firewire, and 6 ins and 8 outs. has smpte in and out.world clock Its 499.99

or the E-MU 1820 with all the same features but less preamps mid in and out and less line ins and aux outs.6 ins and 8 outs. Its 399.99

or im thinking about the aardvark pro 24/96 studio pro. It has 4 preamps coax in and out. no adat. it had 1 mid in and out. 4 ins and 6 outs. and has Reverb Compressor 3-Band EQ. this is 499.99

depends on what you want to use them for. What kind of recordings will you be doing? Do you need midi? etc...

i will probably need it all. I am recording hip hop music. i need midi for my keyboard and other instruments. i need preamps for my mics. but i jus wanted to know which one would offer better quality. more reliable? ect.

I personally love my 1820. The 1820 doesn't have less line ins than the M. it just has less sync options and different, slightly noisier converters (that are still better than, say, a Delta 66 and other competitive cards) Just like the number says, you still have 18 ins and 20 outs. (I'm using a Behringer ADAT preamp...)

The Aardvark does have the onboard effects, but I'm not sure they're all that, IMO. I never touched them after experimenting with them since the stuff in my Sonar sounded much better. Of course, after I got the 24/96, I decided I really needed the inputs of the Q10, which doesn't have effects, anyways. And now I've got this E-mu, which does have effects (some of which are decent), but I still don't tend to use them. I'd say when it comes to effects, the Emu certainly beats the Aardvark...

Back