Which software is SIMPLE track by track

kennyboy37

I have been trying out various software for my windows xp computer.I have tried Audacity,NCH,Reaper as well as Sony Acid 7.Hey guys I have been recording for a long time with a Roland VS-840.So I am not a beginner in my home recording studio.I want a simple,straight forward software that will simply give me mono tracks that I can pan left right or center on my mixer without all the bells and whistles most of this software comes with.Seems you have to be on the GEEK SQUAD to run and understand this softwre I have tried.....Any suggestions???????:confused:

Quite honestly, as time goes, software gets more & more complex. Best thing to do, is evaluate as many programs as you can, and from there choose the one that works best for you and you feel most comfortable with. The "learning" process is something that you're madatorily going to have to go through with ANY program. You're using Roland - try "Sonar," it's made by Cakewalk, which is made by Roland.

Go back to reaper and just make sure you set up mono tracks. One for each signal. That's all you need to do - steer clear of the whole stereo track thing. When you have the tracks you want, the final mix is pretty much the same thing as your Roland VS-840, excepting it sounds better, there's more tracks, it sounds better, its easier to use, sounds better, its more powerful, and sounds better.

I want a simple,straight forward software that will simply give me mono tracks that I can pan left right or center on my mixer without all the bells and whistles most of this software comes with.
I'm having trouble seeing why Audacity does not fit this description.

Go back to reaper and just make sure you set up mono tracks. One for each signal. That's all you need to do - steer clear of the whole stereo track thing. When you have the tracks you want, the final mix is pretty much the same thing as your Roland VS-840, excepting it sounds better, there's more tracks, it sounds better, its easier to use, sounds better, its more powerful, and sounds better.

Agreed. Reaper is great.

To me, the Roland VS series recorders weren't the easiest to operate when I tried one. I still have my Tascam and Fostex digital recorders, and can do most necessary functions on both units without opening the manual.

I'm a complete idiot, yet somehow I managed to learn Reaper. Recording a mono track and panning to your convenience isn't very challenging. If I may, allow me to suggest an awesome book which is incredibly helpful with Reaper...

Amazon.com: Home Recording for Beginners (9781598638813): Geoffrey (Geoffrey Francis) Francis: Books

Maybe it's a matter of what works with your particular thought process. Reaper appealed to me the most out of Cubase, Sonar, Cool Edit Pro, and Audacity when I was looking through different recording software. Audacity seemed to be the most simple that I fooled with.

Good luck with finding a recording platform that agrees with you.

Seems all of them look like the cockpit of a 747 jet.....all the bells and whistles are hard to learn and really are confusing.
Quite frankly,I found it easy to learn my way around my Roland VS-840!

I could never get my brain wrapped around the VS-840, plus, it didn't have XLR jacks. When I switched over to computer-based recording with Cubase, it all made sense. there was no turning back... :)

There is a steep learning curve no matter which recording platform you choose. The capabilities that come with a computer-based approach far exceeds any convenience that a studio-in-a-box could offer. Not trying to turn this into a computer vs. SIAB war...:eek: :D but you are asking about switching over.

You're going to need an interface and most opf them come with a lite version of a popular DAW program. Be sure to include that when shopping around. I personally use Cubase, tried Sonar for a while and switched back to Cubase. and Everyone here loves Reaper.

peace,

Seems all of them look like the cockpit of a 747 jet.
When you're used to using one thing, everything else always seems that way. I work on a TASCAM 2488, which I can get around with my eyes closed. If I tried your Roland, I'd probably feel the same way you do about al the software programs you've tried.
....all the bells and whistles are hard to learn and really are confusing.
I thought you said you don't need them. So, how are they confusing you? Here's a suggestion: Don't use them. :eek:

I don't see how something like REAPER would be like rocket surgery. Open a mono track, load your wave file, play with the volume and panning, and Bob's your uncle. Pretty simple.

I don't see how something like REAPER would be like rocket surgery. Open a mono track, load your wave file, play with the volume and panning, and Bob's your uncle. Pretty simple.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Great advice here. The more you fool with it, the more it should make sense. Good luck.

Back